Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
just spoke with the kennels and they were not happy at all. although my neighbours had given them some information the woman said she was annoyed that they rehomed tommy as a sociable, dog-friendly staffy and he was being returned the complete opposite. i told her how much i thought of him and how lovely he is with people. i also told her of the events leading up to the incident. she thanked me for my call and said they would do some work with tommy and also make any new owner well aware of his past.

i feel happier now and far more optimistic for tommy's future.

thank you again everyone who gave their advice/opinions. if i hear good news about tommy i will certainly let you all know.
funny enough, i was thinking about this last night,
and was wondering if it was the case that Tommy was fine when he left the rescue but got bad with the owners?
As it happened to me a few times in my career.

Nice work lilly.

I think they will be able to work on him.
There are safe and controlled ways to dog test, assess, and work on dog aggressive dogs without the dog agressive dog coming into direct contact with other dogs.
I used my own dogs for this work.
I imagine they will wait a week or 2 to gauge and measure his reactions out and about amongst the kennels, and to put him thru a process of muzzle training.

Likely, he wont ever be able to run off lead amongst dogs, but he 'may' get to a stage of safe non-reactive close on lead tolerance.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Originally Posted by scarter
Also, your comment regarding dogs only being turned away when the rescue is full fits with the info I was given.
I never made a statement dogs only get turned away when rescues are full, I said rescues operate selection policies based on behaviour issues, incl The Dogs Trust.
I was responding to Sarah - not you. Sorry - I don't have time to read everyone's post - I just respond to the ones that catch my eye and are of interest to me.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:44 PM
funny enough, i was thinking about this last night,
and was wondering if it was the case that Tommy was fine when he left the rescue but got bad with the owners?
As it happened to me a few times in my career.

Nice work lilly.

I think they will be able to work on him.
There are safe and controlled ways to dog test, assess, and work on dog aggressive dogs without the dog agressive dog coming into direct contact with other dogs.
I used my own dogs for this work.
I imagine they will wait a week or 2 to gauge and measure his reactions out and about amongst the kennels, and to put him thru a process of muzzle training.

Likely, he wont ever be able to run off lead amongst dogs, but he 'may' get to a stage of safe non-reactive close on lead tolerance.
i think that is one of the saddest parts of this whole thing. he was fine with other dogs when he left the kennels. it should be seen as a crime to cause a dogs behaviour to change so drastically.

my bc was getting to crisis point when i rescued him. he had no idea how to interact with other dogs. it took patience and perseverance to build his confidence to the level it is today. it does amaze me that despite being attacked twice he hasn't regressed to his old ways. when the last attack happened i took him to my friends for the afternoon. they have 3 dogs and i figured he needed to be with 'safe' dogs straight away.

it does however highlight the whole 'which dog is right for me' issue. if indeed any dog would be right for some people.

your words are very encouraging and i feel the kennels will do just what you outlined.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
just spoke with the kennels and they were not happy at all. although my neighbours had given them some information the woman said she was annoyed that they rehomed tommy as a sociable, dog-friendly staffy and he was being returned the complete opposite. i told her how much i thought of him and how lovely he is with people. i also told her of the events leading up to the incident. she thanked me for my call and said they would do some work with tommy and also make any new owner well aware of his past.

i feel happier now and far more optimistic for tommy's future.

thank you again everyone who gave their advice/opinions. if i hear good news about tommy i will certainly let you all know.
I'm so glad that not only is your conscience now absolutely clear, but that you had such a positive response from the rescue.

Very sad that it was your neighbours that seem to have caused the dog aggression problems with Tommy, though it may have been outside influences (e.g. possibly a few dog attacks?) which escalated the problem.

But i dont regard any of this as an issue for DT or other rescues, i regard that as the fault of society and owners who screw up their dogs.[/B]
I also dont have a problem with responsible last ditch behaviourally assessed euthansia policies, as i regard that as ethically correct from an animal welfare point of view, when you compare it against a lifetime being stressed out of your brain in a kennel. (kennels also create mental problems).
I may be aware of the fuller meaning and reality behind the DT slogan, but i dont regard that as a reason to lessen your support of the DT once realized, as i think DT are fantastic, inclusive of this reality.
The only time the slogan becomes a problem is when people use it as an argument to compare other rescues in morally and ethically lesser way, when the reality is there really isn't that much difference in practice when you consider the bigger picture..
And I am sure the DT high ups would agree with this, especially as you consider they directly work with open in-house PTS rescues like Battersea and Blue Cross.
(such as thru the ADCH).
Good post
Ace_Animals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Ah good, I'm glad you got through and got to speak to someone about Tommy. I bet they're very pleased you called. Imagine they'd already re-homed him to someone else who may have been even more unsuitable for him than your neighbours Scary thought. At least you'll be able to sleep well tonight knowing you've done the right thing
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 10:45 AM
But i dont regard any of this as an issue for DT or other rescues, i regard that as the fault of society and owners who screw up their dogs.[/B]

I agree with you

I also dont have a problem with responsible last ditch behaviourally assessed euthansia policies, as i regard that as ethically correct from an animal welfare point of view,
I agree with you there as well. I think it is much better to put a dog out of it's misery if, for example, it's been so badly abused and is so aggressive and fearful that it just can't be worked with.

Lily - I'm pleased you talked to the rehoming place. Hopefully they will find him a good forever home
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5