Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Loud displays at dog shows

While standing in a stall today purchasing a new toy () I was surprised when the K9 display taking place in the arena next door included a very loud bang.

I wasn't the only one taken by surprise either. The Beagle pup, who up until that point had been happily sniffing Malcolm, reversed under a table and refused to come out.

Another dog who was nearer the ring slipped his collar (after much thrashing) and ran off. Luckily a passerby managed to catch it and return it to it's owner.

I also witnessed multiple others go from happy dogs enjoying the day to anywhere from disconcerted dogs to gibbering wrecks.

Malcolm wasn't bothered by it at all along with others who obviously didn't mind but I would say a good 30% of the dogs in my eyesight were visibly affected by the noise.

The gun dog scurry were launching lures which also resulted in a bang but they had been deliberately situated away from the main part of the show, however the K9 Units display was smack bang in the middle and they emitted this boom several times during their display.

I just wondered what others thought of this? I know ideally all dogs would be fine with loud noises and if we were at a gun dog show or a country fair I could perhaps understand it but this was a pet dog show where most of the dogs probably only come across loud bangs during fireworks season. I could even understand if there had been some sort of warning, although it wouldn't have helped those outside of tannoy range but I could hear the speakers the entire time the display was on (I may have been doing a lot of shopping...) and I heard no such warning.

For some it ended the day, the beagles owner had to go home as once she came out from under the table she was still completely freaked out. It seems a shame their day was curtailed because of something that surely could have been avoided.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
While standing in a stall today purchasing a new toy () I was surprised when the K9 display taking place in the arena next door included a very loud bang.

I wasn't the only one taken by surprise either. The Beagle pup, who up until that point had been happily sniffing Malcolm, reversed under a table and refused to come out.

Another dog who was nearer the ring slipped his collar (after much thrashing) and ran off. Luckily a passerby managed to catch it and return it to it's owner.

I also witnessed multiple others go from happy dogs enjoying the day to anywhere from disconcerted dogs to gibbering wrecks.

Malcolm wasn't bothered by it at all along with others who obviously didn't mind but I would say a good 30% of the dogs in my eyesight were visibly affected by the noise.

The gun dog scurry were launching lures which also resulted in a bang but they had been deliberately situated away from the main part of the show, however the K9 Units display was smack bang in the middle and they emitted this boom several times during their display.

I just wondered what others thought of this? I know ideally all dogs would be fine with loud noises and if we were at a gun dog show or a country fair I could perhaps understand it but this was a pet dog show where most of the dogs probably only come across loud bangs during fireworks season. I could even understand if there had been some sort of warning, although it wouldn't have helped those outside of tannoy range but I could hear the speakers the entire time the display was on (I may have been doing a lot of shopping...) and I heard no such warning.

For some it ended the day, the beagles owner had to go home as once she came out from under the table she was still completely freaked out. It seems a shame their day was curtailed because of something that surely could have been avoided.
Horrible. As you say, understandable if it was a Gun Dog Day of some sort. My dog HATES fireworks and other loud bangs and won't even let me comfort her. She just wants to HIDE and stay hidden for ages afterwards.

They train gun dogs here with industrial strength firecrackers to get them used to the noise. I'm surprised all the dogs aren't deaf.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Neither of mine like loud noises so I would be quite annoyed at a dog show to have them scared by loud bangs. They should warn before banging IMO, long before like on the advertising for the show so people can decide whether they wish to go or not.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Horrible. As you say, understandable if it was a Gun Dog Day of some sort. My dog HATES fireworks and other loud bangs and won't even let me comfort her. She just wants to HIDE and stay hidden for ages afterwards.

They train gun dogs here with industrial strength firecrackers to get them used to the noise. I'm surprised all the dogs aren't deaf.
I was awful to see so many freaked out dogs, most of the owners recognised they were worried but some didn't and just marched off dragging their dogs behind I'm just glad it's one of the few things Malcolm's not bothered by!

Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Neither of mine like loud noises so I would be quite annoyed at a dog show to have them scared by loud bangs. They should warn before banging IMO, long before like on the advertising for the show so people can decide whether they wish to go or not.
I thought that but then since it was just a display I don't know why they felt they needed to include it. Their dogs may have been fine with it but surely they must realise not all would be! It's a shame because up until that point it had been quite a good display.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2013, 05:50 PM

I would not have been pleased, what a shame so many dogs had their day spoilt .
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Their dogs may have been fine with it but surely they must realise not all would be!
Well of course they must realise. I mean what are all those public warnings about keeping pets indoors and safe on firework night about if it isn't general knowledge that lots of them are terrified of loud bangs?
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I think we experienced something similar a few years ago at Paws in the Park (or similar), there was some kind of display that involved loud bangs and lots of shouting. Lots of people were not pleased.

They really ought to warn beforehand iMO, so those with nervy dogs can keep a distance or not attend.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 07:20 PM
That would annoy me as well. I am glad that dog that slipped it's collar was caught though, a warning would not of killed the person surely!. Holly hates fireworks and will not let me comfort her either, she just runs and hides and does not come out for a while after they have finished either. She is not that worried about gun shots though, although she has always been playing ball, not sure what she would do if she was not playing ball. She can't stand thunder, she is not a fan of loud noises at all.