View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2016, 06:33 PM
We did our most recent gold test yesterday, and I had no idea that there had been any changes, - apart from being surprised to see one lady using a slip lead for her road walk. She clearly had heard about the changes. I can't see why the test needed to be amended - if it ain't broke why fix it? Or is there another level on the way?
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Being allowed to use a HeadCollar definitely makes handling easier but I tend to agree that the point of the KC tests was always to promote general good and responsible dog ownership, I'm sure that if a dog was really pulling around on a Halti that it would not pass anyhow?

I've always felt the Relaxed Isolation exercise was a bit strange as it specifies that the owner should not use any controls, comforts/inducements on the dog? (I'm not sure If/when you would ever do this in real life?) For any crate trained dog this is their "Bed" so being allowed to use a crate would be much easier to settle them?

Introducing the scanning of microchips as part of the ID exercise is great because it will promote their use more.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-06-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm not against head collars, the Halti is disliked by my girls and I find the gentle leader a much better option. My point is that the owner should be able to demonstrate they have the knowledge and the ability to train their dog correctly without resorting to gadgets, which should be used for assistance rather than instead of. I am fine with mine learning a long stay, I use it when I am out with more than one and I need to attend to one of the others for various reasons, or even if there are dogs around that are a nuisance, out of sight makes it more of a challenge, but my girls trust me that I'll come back for them and again it demonstrates I have done the work required to bring them to that standard. Any dog will stay when shut in a crate, but will it when not shut in, that's the test of your abilities as a trainer
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I suppose it depends if you see it as a test of "Training" or "Good Citizenship", Overall I think its a bit of both?

The Relaxed Isolation is not a Stay (there are stays of varying levels that include an "Out of sight" for Gold) but Isolation a test of the dogs ability to be relaxed when tethered or placed in a room away from the owner (Crate now added to these options) The dog must not bark or become agitated when left but the set up for this exercise is a bit weird.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Yeah but the majority of dogs have a crate and are used to being in it. Actually my Lona would not pass the test if a crate was used because she won't be in one with the door closed, end of. Think she is a bit claustrophobic as when we've been at shows she won't go in a tent with a lot of peope in, even if its raining she stands outside. She'll only go in a crate if I make her and then she looks like I've beaten her up!!! If I shut the door she gets very very agitated. As I don't use crates as a general thing anyway it doesn't matter, what would happen if she had to go in the vets for anything doesn't bear thinking about, her hip tests were a nightmare, and that was only a matter of less than an hour or so whilst the sedation was reversed. Rest of them will go in a crate no bother, but she won't
Sooooo the REAL test to me at any rate is whether your dog will do an out of sight stay, will stop on command, will weave by your side in and out of a line of dogs, will come away from dogs immediately you ask. The whole Good Citizen scheme is evidence that you have worked and trained with your dog to achieve certain goals. Getting a long, out of sight stay out of a crate is not something that you can achieve without putting the effort in, putting a dog in a crate, shutting the door and walking away requires minimal effort really!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2016, 09:57 PM
Exercise 7 - Relaxed Isolation
The object of this exercise is for the dog to be content when left in isolation. During such times the dog should not become agitated,
unduly stressed or defensive. The handler should fasten the dog to an approximate two metre line and then move out of sight for
between two – five minutes as directed. Alternatively, the dog may be left in a room on its own, or left in a room on its own in a suitable
crate/cage, provided undetected observation can take place. The owner must provide the crate/cage if one is used. Examiners should
choose appropriate venues when conducting this exercise. Handlers can choose the method of isolation, however the Examiner will
determine the testing area to be used. This must be a safe area but not to include a vehicle. Any number of dogs may be tested at
the same time provided they are isolated at different locations. It is acceptable for the dog to move around during isolation, however
should the dog whine, howl, bark, or indulge in any disruptive activities it should not pass this exercise.
Note: Dogs should be tested for their relaxed demeanour in isolation without any prior controls being imposed by the handler. This is not a
stay exercise but handlers may settle their dogs before leaving. This is a practical test and no inducement e.g. blankets, toys or food should
be used during this exercise. Examiners can reserve the right to insist that the handler secures the dog in a safer manner if the equipment
used is deemed inadequate.

Two metre line or a cage, the dog is restrained for this exercise
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Please humour me - I am not a dog trainer, just train my dogs to do what I want when I want it. Revolving around working.
Is the point behind this relaxed isolation to show a dog is confident in itself and well balanced enough not to pine or fret in any way when left or is it just an exercise in control. Rather like an out of sight stay.
The head collar thing is for me a non starter - if you have to use one of those in an award/test situation then you are surely short cutting the training. I can see the point of one in an everyday situation with multi dog exercising or as a sort of belt and braces approach when in a busy or strange area - but surely not in an examination of your empathy with and control of a single canine companion.
Must admit to never having used one even though I regularly walk 3 large and 1 small dogs (all with very high prey drive) together. My voice alone is usually sufficient to supress any recalcitrance.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2016, 11:57 AM
The point behind the exercise has caused debate between trainers for many years as it's not something to be encouraged in 'real life' situations. Many trainers would have liked to see it dropped altogether.

The headcollar - the idea isn't that you control the dog with the collar rather that you still have to train loose lead walking on whatever equipment the dog is used to. Does it really matter what the dog is wearing if it is walking on a loose lead?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2