View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rynny
New Member!
Female 

01-06-2016, 10:05 AM

Recommendations for lurcher puppy collar.

I've been looking at the different types of collars and leads/harnesses available for my lurcher puppy.
It's a whole before we can go out for little walks yet as she's only 8 weeks but thought I'd better give this some thought now.
I have been looking on various websites and there seems to be so many different options and conflicting information on what is best.
I can see that some people have separate collars for walking to those worn at home but thought it might be better to get some input from people with experience.
I had assumed a harness (although hadn't looked into which kind yet) would be better for walking but have just read somewhere that lurchers/greyhounds can easily back out of them and escape.
I'm just worried that I'll use something unsuitable and she'll be off.
Thanks
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2016, 03:09 PM
take a look at greyhound collars, they are wider than normal and we used them with our Afghan hounds
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2016, 03:59 PM
A properly fitting harness are far kinder than a collar. Lurchers and hounds have long delicate necks that pulling in a collar can damage.
Otherwise a wide hound collar would be ideal. My two lurchers always had them removed in the house.
Rynny
New Member!
Female 

01-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Thank you. I'll have a look. I did think a harness might be more comfortable.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2016, 09:43 PM
I've had lurchers for over 50 years. Small thin shop bought puppy collar, which will be light and unobtrusive, to begin with. From 4 months on, when you will be taking your youngster out a wide whippet/greyhound collar.
This dependant on the size or type of your lurcher. Smaller ones a whippet collar - larger ones a greyhound.Which are removed once at home. I see no good reason for a "house collar" which seem to me more decorative than anything else.
They are not prone to pulling on a lead and are invariably easy to lead and heel train. I say this, but bull crosses can be a little stronger, I wouldn't keep one personally as I prefer deerhound based ones but I have this on quite good authority so am passing the info on in good faith.
Harnesses on a lurcher are to me (my opinion only) a detraction from a beautiful animal and about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Good luck with your youngster.
Rynny
New Member!
Female 

02-06-2016, 04:04 AM
Thank you very much for that. I had read some conflicting info on walking on leads/harnesses but this explains it much better. My lurcher is greyhound saluki bedlington. I'll wait till 4 months then I think and have a look at those whippet/greyhound collars, at least I know she'll be comfortable then.
Thanks for the advice!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Go with what Gordonmac has said. He is a good authority on these types of doglets.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2016, 07:04 PM
There are many producers of sighthound specific collars, so worth a look.

As an example ...

http://www.hollyandlil.co.uk/sightho...ounds-79-c.asp
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Oh Moobli - just had a look at that "hollyandlil" link.
My lot would die of embarrassment if taken out in a pink collar! lol !
I think I'll settle for a good quality leather greyhound collar in any shade of dark brown/black.
The OP would find a good selection of same at any large lurcher and terrier show throughout the UK. There are always at least 2 stands that sell leads and collars specifically for running dogs. In most cases handmade by the stands proprietor and significantly more reasonable in price than shops or on-line traders.
e.g. I bought at the Pennine Show last year a collar and lead for my big lad.
18" X 2 1/2" and a 4 foot lead all in black butt leather with brass furniture for the princely sum of £14. Twelve months on it still looks as good as new.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Ha! I tend not to go for bling or bright colours for my dogs either, but think there are all manner on the link provided (I didn't really do an in-depth look though )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >