Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dchooo
New Member!
Male 

08-04-2016, 05:57 PM

Need help housetraining and separation anxiety with my dog

I'm new to this forum. I adopted a 3 month old fox terrier from the shelter who is now 4 months old(had him for approximately 1 month). The vets said he will be around 10 to 12 lbs when he is full grown. He is the cutest thing EVER but we have 2 MAJOR problems.

We have read countless articles on how to train our dog on pee pads and reducing separation anxiety. I feel like I have tried almost everything but then when I turn our back on our puppy, he pees on the carpet and off the pee pad and howls like there's no tomorrow when we leave HIS SIGHT. I believe my dog was heavily abused before he went into the shelter. He is very scared of older males(people) and barks at them where ever I go. He is extremely squirmish and looks like hes gonna have a heartache when I slightly raise my voice. When I raise my voice and go to pick him up, there's yet another pile of pee where he was grounded at. I swear, it's like whenever I tell him "NO", or praise him with treats when he actually goes on the pee pad, like he forgets where to go the next time he pees.

For the separation anxiety it's worse. He howls and cries so much when I leave his sight. Theres like no end to his crying. I never pick him up and stuff if he cries and stuff because I dont want more problems. I have to literally take him everywhere I go. I live in an apartment so two or three notices and I could get evicted.

Honestly, it's not like I'm through with him. I still want to try new things to see a modest improvement but if I don't see anymore improving in a month, I don't think I can keep him any longer. I have crate trained him. He likes the crate and all but he just doesn't know where to go. PLEASE HELPPPP
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2016, 08:20 PM
oh i feel for you it sounds like you have taken on a dog with severe problems,has he seen a vet for a check up either with you or at the shelter? wot country are you in? id suggest you need a behaviourist to come out and assess him asap but please be aware this dog needs help from someone who doesnt use punishment ,whilst you are right in saying you dont pick him up be aware of how much attention you are giving him and whether its at the right or wrong time also when you are not there make sure everyone else is not making the problems worse by reacting to his nervous behaviour
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Ok if he is healthy doesnt have a water infection etc then understand that 4 months isnt old and if he has had a bad start then his toilet training may be a bit hit and miss.

It will get better.
Maybe its an idea to visit your nieghbours maybe with a plant or treat of some kind and explain the situation it also makes it harder for them to complain if you have been oh so nice and apologised before hand.

My little Remy aka velcro dog never 100% overcame his fear or his seperation angst.
But he did stop screaming every time he was left alone.
I let him follow me but took no notice of him and simply walked away when he wasnt paying attention increasing the time away from 10 seconds to 10 minutes and then it grew from there.
He had his own blanket and his own teddy to keep him safe when I wasnt around.

I also filmed him when I went out just to see what he did and how long he barked/whined /panicked.

Each dog gets over their fear differently this is what worked for Remy..
Jill Wilson
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Does your dog see you as his pack leader? This is important to find out before we can plan for next step.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jill Wilson View Post
Does your dog see you as his pack leader? This is important to find out before we can plan for next step.
Deleted ????
PetsAreFamily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Hi, this site has valuable info on how to deal with the separation anxiety: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-ca...ration-anxiety

It also seems from what you are saying that your dog is very submissive, from the way you describe how it pees when you raise your voice.

I understand how this is stressing you, but please take a look at the tips and give it a chance, this is all new to your pup and it doesn't know what you expect yet. You also may want to confine the puppy to a crate when you not home to help with house training. Young pups take time to learn to control their bladder, just like children do!