Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
And hunting for many people IS a way of life. Many people don't like fox hunting (which is fine by me), however many are ignorant about what goes on within a hunt on a hunting day. Many people I have met who aren't horsey as well as many that are (but haven't hunted) just assume people go madly raving through the countryside on a killing spree. This is not the case.

Most of the time foxes were or are not caught. IF a fox is being closed in by the hounds, it will be dispatched very quickly with a swift bite on its neck/jugluar from a fox. Death is almost imediate- unlike the way we slaugter many intensively farmed animals all over the world. To me fox hunting is no more barbaric that a pack of wolves killing a bear or a deer or a cat hunting mice/rats. However, as I said majority of the time foxes were not caught.

With regards to the OP- If people stopped feeding foxes evolution would not happen so quickly and this would not be such an issue. This is what happens when a variety of food is available- I mean take a look at Jurassic Park 3 and evolution kicks in
Hmmm humans don't set wolves onto deers though do they? Thats nature - humans taking a gun out and dogs to kill a fox for sport isn't - I fail to see your thought process...
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
@Spockky boy - I'm not sure evolution HAS happened so quickly. Someone has killed a big ol' fox - not big (tah dah) news in itself so to spice things up a bit we have a headline suggesting that Fox's are getting bigger. The mammal expert says that it is probably just an anomaly.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
To me fox hunting is no more barbaric that a pack of wolves killing a bear or a deer or a cat hunting mice/rats. However, as I said majority of the time foxes were not caught.
Thats a very odd opinion - wolves out hunting, are doing so for food in order to survive - someone going out with a pack of dogs, killing foxes are not doing so in order to survive!
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:20 PM
On the subject of feeding wild animals...I'm in two minds. On the one hand it may aid loss of fear of humans and encourage unaturally large and unsustainable populations. On the other hand, thinking of our native wild birds in Winter I'm not sure it is such a bad thing if people help them out as humans have had a large part in destroying their natural habitats (fewer hedgerows, gardens with no food plants, just gravel and deckings, concentration of predators e.g. cats). Some of the common bird species in the UK have been flagged up by biodiversity experts as their numbers have been falling so dramatically. Is it right to let them die out entirely in some areas as it is nature 'taking her course' or is it right to accept that some species have suffered directly due to human activity and help them survive?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Thats a very odd opinion - wolves out hunting, are doing so for food in order to survive - someone going out with a pack of dogs, killing foxes are not doing so in order to survive!
They are doing it for the successful and healthy survival of the species!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They are doing it for the successful and healthy survival of the species!
Maybe so - but that to me is a different thing altogether to another animal hunting for its own food in order to survive.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 08:00 PM
hmmm, whilst im sure sometimes it is for the healthy survival of the species..most of the time blood-sports are just bloodlust.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hmmm, whilst im sure sometimes it is for the healthy survival of the species..most of the time blood-sports are just bloodlust.
Not most no, sometimes Ill agree, good and bad in everything. HWat you have to accept is that its done with landowners permission, so its a required and wanted service by them.

There is no doubting that Foxes are causing more harm now than they ever were before the ban, problems to humans and themselves.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Not most no, sometimes Ill agree, good and bad in everything. HWat you have to accept is that its done with landowners permission, so its a required and wanted service by them.

There is no doubting that Foxes are causing more harm now than they ever were before the ban, problems to humans and themselves.
doesnt mean its right imo...only humans think they have the right to kill everything...whilst imo its humans that cause the problem in the first place..we cant live in harmony with our own species,let alone share it with others
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
doesnt mean its right imo...only humans think they have the right to kill everything...whilst imo its humans that cause the problem in the first place..we cant live in harmony with our own species,let alone share it with others
Yeah, its a shame we eat Beef, Lamb, Chicken etc... if we all ate cabbages and potatoes, and people were not allowed any pets, the Foxes could just do as they please all the time.
Page 12 of 37 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »