Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
I have just quickly scanned the posts on here, so sorry If I have missed something important.

We all love dogs, I would think, otherwise we would not be here but to me it is simple. Kids come first, every time!!

The dog needs to be properly evaluated by a professional, medically and behaviorally. We do not know the previous history, but I would never in a million years allow that dog to be near young children at the moment.

I see some of you are saying that the level of injury did not merit an "attack" Sorry but any dog that lunges, bites, barks and growls, bruises and punctures a child's face is in attack mode, especially if he has to be pulled off!! Whether it was from fear or pain or putting the child in it's place, the dog is not to be trusted with kids. From the description, this was no quick snap, the dog meant it!

I know that dogs can be turned around, and become fantastic pets, but family life is stressful enough, without continually being worried about where is the dog, where is the child all the time, and unfortunately it will be the child who suffers if things go wrong.

Yes, dogs sometimes make silly mistakes and decisions, just like us, but the repercussions for a young child are enormous.

I am sorry that I cannot really add anything positive here, or a way forward, do what you can for the dog, get professional advice, contact the breed rescue but do not risk the child being hurt again.
I couldn't have said it better myself, Excellent post
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
I hope Kitty comes back and lets us know whats been decided about the dog.
Judging from some of the posts and personal experience on here i'd say she'd be best not to
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 06:37 PM
The one thing to remember is NONE of us were there, but the OP, and she was caught in a frightening situation that I doubt she could see clearly 100% due to the scary nature of the incident.

My thoughts regarding the attack is (1) If the dog the dog had meant to do serious damage, the OP never would have gotten the dog off the child AND the child would have been bitten SERIOUSLY. Not a small scratch, but a chunk would have been taken out of his face and maybe other areas as well. (2) Once a dog came after me barking and growling. My face was close to the dog's face at one point and the dog didn't bite me, but its mouth DID collide with my face in the midst of a bark and I ended up with a bite to my lip (I still have the scar underneath my bottom lip and it was many years ago, when I was . The dog was scared and he was not trying to bite me, but trying to stop the scary stuff. The OP wasn't watching the exact moment it happened and I half wonder if this couldn't have been a similar situation.

I'm with the folks who suggest not killing this dog right off. It's possible he may be in pain, may have a thyroid condition, etc. Fix those problems and there may be no aggression. It's ultimately up to the OP but I always hate when people instantly jump to "kill the dog!" before considering other options.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
The one thing to remember is NONE of us were there, but the OP, and she was caught in a frightening situation that I doubt she could see clearly 100% due to the scary nature of the incident.

My thoughts regarding the attack is (1) If the dog the dog had meant to do serious damage, the OP never would have gotten the dog off the child AND the child would have been bitten SERIOUSLY. Not a small scratch, but a chunk would have been taken out of his face and maybe other areas as well. (2) Once a dog came after me barking and growling. My face was close to the dog's face at one point and the dog didn't bite me, but its mouth DID collide with my face in the midst of a bark and I ended up with a bite to my lip (I still have the scar underneath my bottom lip and it was many years ago, when I was . The dog was scared and he was not trying to bite me, but trying to stop the scary stuff. The OP wasn't watching the exact moment it happened and I half wonder if this couldn't have been a similar situation.

I'm with the folks who suggest not killing this dog right off. It's possible he may be in pain, may have a thyroid condition, etc. Fix those problems and there may be no aggression. It's ultimately up to the OP but I always hate when people instantly jump to "kill the dog!" before considering other options.
What options should Kitty take, with the dog while she is waiting for a behaviourist and vet check results.

Would you be happy to keep a dog that attacked your baby, in the same house for lets say a week or so!!

Jumping to kill the dog is not something to be taken lightly other options may be there, but as you, we dont have to live with the consequences of those options, its easy for us to say... dont put the dog to sleep.

I am afraid , as much as I love my dogs, humans must come first , and specially babies...and if I felt anyone was in danger from said dog , it would not be given house room in my home.. and nor would I pass a problem on to someone else.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Judging from some of the posts and personal experience on here i'd say she'd be best not to
well exactly even more so when people have stated its irresponsible to do anything other than have the dog pts
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I would keep them separated until I could sort things out. Are you saying that instead of finding out if there's a medical condition or if, god forbid, the child did something bad to the dog (I remember one case where a person's dog bit their child...they had the dog put to sleep...and then found out that the kid had shoved a pencil DEEP into the dog's ear), you should just run off and kill the dog? I have issues with that.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I would keep them separated until I could sort things out. Are you saying that instead of finding out if there's a medical condition or if, god forbid, the child did something bad to the dog (I remember one case where a person's dog bit their child...they had the dog put to sleep...and then found out that the kid had shoved a pencil DEEP into the dog's ear), you should just run off and kill the dog? I have issues with that.
So do I.......
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
So do I.......
I second it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Keeping them separate may not be an option specially with a 3 yr old in the house, if said 3yr old is like most 3yr olds

You example of the pencil is as far from this story as chalk is from cheese.

This dog had a unknown history, it attacked her child for no reason she could see, the baby did not stick a pencil in the dogs eye, the child was standing by the dog and stroking it.

All cases would be taken as individual, regarding what I woudl do, but in the scenario that is given, the dog would have been PTS , as soon as I could arrange it.

If you take a different view and are willing to put your child at risk of the dog attacking again, while you wait for results thats your choice, I would not!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I second it.
and i will third it!
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 47 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »