Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DrIvEn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2008, 03:40 AM

Hyper Goldens Hyper Labs

So, I think I have decided I am going to get a Golden Retriever before the end of this year. Someone told me that Goldens are calmer than Labs, but I don't know how true that is. I want the calmer of the two, but I haven't been able to find a solid answer on which is calmer. I know it varries, but I really would like to know which breed tends to be hyper. Some help please?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 06:24 AM
I think you will find hyper and relatively calm in both breeds. With the labs I would go for the show type (dogs bred from show dogs) and use your own opinion when you choose your pup, but even if you take the quite pup there is nothing to say it will not kick over the traces. My only experience of Goldens was I have known a few who have a poor temperament so be careful that you buy from someone where you can see the parents and if possible any other stock they have.

The best thing would be to go for a rescue dog so you would have an idea about the amounts of bounce. Or perhaps it would help if you thought about a different breed perhaps one that did not have a working background.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I really think it depends on the individual dog, we've got 1 mad golden, 1 totally laid back and one in between!

From the Labs I've met though, I'd say Goldens are generally calmer.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I have a Golden Retriever and he isn't hyper but does need a fair amount of exercise to use up his energy!
He also sheds a lot, a lot more than I thought possible for one dog
He has a brilliant nature and has been quite easy to train so far, probably because he would do anything for food!.
dogless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi, I have known a few of both and I wouldn't say there is too much difference! Think its more about the individual dog. If being calm is important then, as Pita suggested, perhaps another breed may an idea worth looking into. Hope you find a dog that suits your family either way.