Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Skyespirit86;1350577
I am a big fan of Cesar Milan and I just wanted to say that his method should not be attempted while you are in the mindset that you are 'the boss', and that you are going to put the dog 'in its place.' That is frustration, and resentment towards the dog, not leadership... So a dog who has a leader is a happier dog.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right - I didn't choose my words very well there.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
Just watched this clip. I think Cesar done fine. All the struggling is on the dog's part- Cesar isn't really doing anything. Why should you not ask a dog such as this to submit? He's acting like a loony. Not only is the dog safer afterwards, but he's relaxed and happier. He had so much horrible energy built up in him. Teaching the dog to lie down might get the dog to lie down, but would not cure his bad psychological state, his aggression at all. What if he isn't motivated by treats, or won't stay lying down because he doesn't really respect you? Any calmness caused by lying down would only last until the dog got up again. Should these people just carrying on living with a dog that they never know when it's going to try and attack them? Or should they go and see a trainer who will no doubt spend the rest of it's life battling with this dog, with it kept in a muzzle, never walked, with the owners having to remember endless instructions, pleading with their dog to obey commands...
Skyespirit86 I'm so glad you've joined the decbate! You are much better at explaining CM than I am!

I tried to explain that it was the dog diong the struggling, but that seemed to be ignored by the anti-CM people. I also explained that he was NOT teaching the dog to lie down, but this was also ignored.

I think sometimes people play devil's advocate (esp. on forums) and just want to cause controversy. Especially when using words like cruel and barbaric.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
If you'd take the time to find out more about him you would realise that this question is a bit silly. He's been around dogs all his life. He grew up on a farm in Mexico with a large pack of dogs. He went to America, penniless, and got a job in a grooming parlour, then a job in a kennels. Next he started to rehabilitate dogs (his first pack was comprised of Rotties) using the methods he had learned from his Grandfather and from what he had learned by observing a pack of domesticated dogs during his childhood and adolescent years.

Just because you don't like the way he pats a dogs head you think he exploits dogs for financial gain? I find this a bit far fetched. He just doesn't believe that people need to be drooling all over their dogs every second of the day for the dogs to be happy.

I see a lot of 'I think he looks like....' and 'I think this dog feels like....' These statements are purely subjective. As I keep saying you can put any slant you like on what you think someone looks like!

TBH I couldn't care less if you like CM or his methods. Makes no difference to me, I will always use his techniques. However, it gets my goat when people make totaly unfounded claims based on very little or no knowledge of the man or his techniques.

I said I was going to leave this thread alone but I just can't lol I need Dogsey Rehab lol
So sorry you think my opinions are silly!!!!!! : sorry for ASKING a question.

Im giving MY OPINION.It dosent matter if others have DIFFERENT opinions. I can say i dont like the way he handles in clip X Y Z, Anybody else COULD say ahh but look at Clip A B & C thats much better.

Like Bullyboy was doing last night.Backing up his opinions with clips & observations.

This is a discussion forum, im DISCUSSING what i dont like in what i SEE. I think that is still allowed!!!!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:24 PM
RE: teaching a dog like Jonbee commands without addressing his damaged psychological state.

This would be like teaching a homicidal maniac to sit in a chair. He's still a homicidal maniac, but he's sitting down. Would you trust him?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Mishflynn, I'm sorry you take my posts so personally. I've explained several times to you about CM's techniques and philosophy, but you don't want to listen or learn. I understand from your previous posts that you are agitated and maybe not in the right frame of mind to take it in.

I agree that it is your OPINION - correct me if I'm wron but that is exactly what I was saying in my post!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
Cesar Milan is that last person on earth you could call a novice. Is it just because he dares to do things which don't fit with the current retaliation against 'old fashioned' training methods? (not that he's a trainer anyway) Just because he isn't treating them and being 'nice' all the time?
If he walked into the house and cuddled the dogs, and fed them more excited energy by playing with them, smiling, and cooing at them- do you think he would look like a leader? Dogs aren't innocent, little cuddly babies that live on love. They need all that excited, aggressive, frustrated energy drained out, bad behaviours corrected, and then for the leader to help them move forward. Then the dog will be truly happy.
That's not to say you can never cuddle your dog, but they should have the exercise and discipline first.
No its because he HANDLES & TOUCHES in ...IMO...in a novicey way.

Thats only my opinion
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
So sorry you think my opinions are silly!!!!!! : sorry for ASKING a question.
And I believe I answered your question. What did you think of the answer I gave RE Cesare Milan and his background?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
No its because he HANDLES & TOUCHES in ...IMO...in a novicey way.

Thats only my opinion
Can you explain what you mean by this? Or is it just a gut feeling you have about him?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Mishflynn, I'm sorry you take my posts so personally. I've explained several times to you about CM's techniques and philosophy, but you don't want to listen or learn. I understand from your previous posts that you are agitated and maybe not in the right frame of mind to take it in.

I agree that it is your OPINION - correct me if I'm wron but that is exactly what I was saying in my post!
STOP HAVING A GO AT ME THEN.

Hes FLAWED in my opinion, i hate his ways, its sick & barbaric, I HAVE trained in that way in the past & i HATE it.

I have LEARNED what i DONT like.

Is that clear enough for you? i see things in him That you Clearly dont & vice versa.
DONT try to pretend i dont know anything about CM,I know plenty hes on TV for all to see.

I dont know why you have it in for me?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Can you explain what you mean by this? Or is it just a gut feeling you have about him?
ITs how he touches the dogs, how he pats ,smooths them as ive said before this morning, its all from the last few clips. It looks "novicey" & unconfident, & TBH that suprises me, because if hes so confident in dealing with "problem" dogs, then why does he look so uncomftable just "being" with them?
Page 56 of 102 « First < 6 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 66 > Last »