View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannaDay
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I have noticed that when there is food it usually keeps them quiet but i hadn't thought about opening the door when they are quiet so thank you.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by HannaDay View Post
oh and no we don't open the door straight away we finish what we're doing like making tea/coffee etc so it's only for like 5-10 minutes but during the time either one who has been shut in barks constantly but it's also usually only during the day which makes sense because they are usually more active,
So you have taught them that they need to bark/work for at least 5-10 minutes before it will work.....
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by HannaDay View Post
I have noticed that when there is food it usually keeps them quiet but i hadn't thought about opening the door when they are quiet so thank you.
So try throwing 2-3 pieces of kibble in different places at opposite ends of the room during a stay, so they can't snaffle it up before you have even shut the door.

Verbally release the dog to find it (rather than bark) as you shut the door, open door WHILE STILL QUIET, repeat and SLOWLY and gradually build up and reward increasingly long quiet time.

You can also teach a "quiet" command. Use this when they bark (firstly when the door is open) and once they understand it, use it when barking behind the closed door and again only open the door as a reward for quiet.

Initially open the door as soon as they are quiet, or mark that point as you open the door, and reward with an opened door.

Again gradually build up the quiet time required to earn teh opened door reward.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2