Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Swisbey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Pining Dog Following Bereavement

I am posting this for my neighbour. She (mum) looks after daughter's bulldog quite a lot and the dog got a huge bond with the dad. Sadly dad passed away 2 weeks ago and the dog's behaviour is causing concern. Normally she slept downstairs, but whilst dad was ill and now, she wants to sleep on the landing. She goes to dad's bedroom door and looks in but won't go in the room. She won't let mum out of her sight and is agitated all the time.
When mum took the dog back to daughter's house and stayed there the dog can't go upstairs as they are extremely steep and wooden. Apparently no-one got sleep as she spent all her time howling. So the dog and mum are back at mum's house.
Can anyone suggest please how to help the dog?

Thanks.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 08:19 AM
How very sad. I think the grief is a natural process and people and dogs need time to come to terms. It`s only 2 weeks.
You could try giving the dog a jumper of his in her bed? The scent might comfort her. And maybe put her bed where she wants to sleep.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I would have been sceptical about this until I realised how bad Ben was after his lady owner died while he was there.

Sometimes he still looks confused but he is getting better. Lots of cuddles help and time is the answer I think.

rune
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Awww what a shame!

I agree that time is a great healer.

I would try to find out what the dog loves to do most off and do more of that, be it playing, walking with friends, ball games or tricks...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You could try giving the dog a jumper of his in her bed? The scent might comfort her. And maybe put her bed where she wants to sleep.
Good advice, anything he has worn, even if it's been washed, the dog will still be able to smell him, their noses are so sensitive she'll know it was his.

This 'bonding' between dog and human is so amazing isn't it. Non dog owners (or non caring owners) probably don't believe it but they are the poorer for that.
Kevin Colwill
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I agree that time is the real answer but if the dog is very distressed there are may be some products that might help.

DAP (available from your Vet) might be worth a try but in the first instance I'd look to a herbal product.

You can get good free advice from somewhere like Dorwest or Hilton herbs (just google them) and both are bona fide companies with long track records.
Swisbey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. Have passed the ideas on.