Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-04-2009, 09:39 AM

Do people avoid your dogs ?

We had the caravan club or something take over the fields i normally take the boys to.
so i had to walk them elsewhere this morn ..
OMG i swear people were avoiding us, i can understand non doggy people being weary of 2 boxers but dog owners should know better to judge a book by its cover ...
Be honest if you see a certain breed do you just assume they will be aggresive or combative ?

ps maybe they were avoiding me
BigV
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I get this all the time..... kids screaming and grown ups crossing the street in a panic. My dog is a GSD X breed (looks like a german shepherd with floppy ears basically), I have to walk for 5 mins on the pavement before I can get to the canal path.

I didn't realise boxers had a bad image? I always thought boxers were friendly playful dogs?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I never think any breed of dog will be nasty , only people
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Had you washed?
(sorry)
When I had black and tan GSDs I had people go to great lengths to avoid me in spite of the fact they were all friendly. Now I have a fluffy golden monster (see avatar) they all want to stroke her - which she objects to forcefully. You can`t win.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2009, 09:50 AM
If I have Maggie with me and we see other dogs we don't know I am always more cautious, if the other dog is of a certain breed then yes, I am even more cautious. I hate that I feel that way but I do. I don't try to avoid them totally but will try and see from afar what there owners seem like. Daft maybe but I'm still getting my confidence around big dogs.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 09:55 AM
I avoid other people because I have 2 fear aggressive dogs so it could be that they aren't avoiding you because they think something is wrong with your dogs/you but their dogs might have a problem!
Becky
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I avoid other people because I have 2 fear aggressive dogs so it could be that they aren't avoiding you because they think something is wrong with your dogs/you but their dogs might have a problem!
Becky

Well said.. and taken on board .. ty jj
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 10:01 AM
when i walked a black staffie male, i would get avoided a lot, people without dogs would often cross over or hide behind cars, and some people with dogs would let their dog attack him, he was on lead and they shouted at me!
on the one hand i hate being judged, but on the other, i do feel a little safer when 'hard' kids avoid me, dont want no bother
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2009, 10:46 AM
When I walk the greyhounds people will cross over the road to avoid walking near me. Usually people with terriers or yorkie type dogs that are more likely to bite my greyhounds than the greyhounds are to bite the little terrorists. The daft thing is I an walk 4 whippets along the raod and the same people will qiute happily let their dogs come up to mine. When I'm walking the 4 young whippets apart from the fact they are very good at may pole dancing and tangling up their leads they are a bit bouncy with other dogs and are certainly not put off by big dogs.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes all the time
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »