Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
One of his phrases is"I didn't see that coming"everytime he gets bitten<~~~~~~ says volumes about his alleged ability to read dogs body language !!!

I knew you'd show up here. Remember, this is a T.V. show. Lots of it is script. Do you think he'd say that by accident when it makes him look like he's contradicting himself? A lot of what you see in the show isn't real, it's part of the entertainment. Part of the reason his show did so well was because he didn't seem to fear bites and took dogs head on, diving into danger of sorts.

He also repeatedly said that to correct a behavior, it has to happen first. I don't agree with that dangerous sentiment, but still. So unless everyone recording and writing and directing that show are total idiots (not the case as the show did well for quite some time and to this day many follow his example) him saying and doing that stuff was part of the show. None of it was live so.. yeah.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I knew you'd show up here. Remember, this is a T.V. show. Lots of it is script. Do you think he'd say that by accident when it makes him look like he's contradicting himself? A lot of what you see in the show isn't real, it's part of the entertainment. Part of the reason his show did so well was because he didn't seem to fear bites and took dogs head on, diving into danger of sorts.

He also repeatedly said that to correct a behavior, it has to happen first. I don't agree with that dangerous sentiment, but still. So unless everyone recording and writing and directing that show are total idiots (not the case as the show did well for quite some time and to this day many follow his example) him saying and doing that stuff was part of the show. None of it was live so.. yeah.
So the dogs who bit him were scripted to do so, after all the show was not live
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
So the dogs who bit him were scripted to do so, after all the show was not live
Funny. Again, they can freely remove what they like before the show airs. It's done a certain way on purpose. I'm not saying all of it is just fake, but at least some of it is. Someone here suggested that dogs were "prepped" for the shows, and frankly I have no idea how that is even possible.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2015, 02:09 AM
I think part of it too is entertainment. I'm sure they edit and weave some things to make a more interesting program. I feel Cesar means well for the most part. But most of us learn to read dog body language fairly well from observation and common sense. After all...how much does it take to read a dog like Callie? If the stump is wagging and he's smiling it's all good, if his back fur is up and he's going "GRRRRAUHRRRRRRRR", he might be a tad upset.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Gave me a giggle. I understand many people think that, and for good reason. But I have watched him a lot, and again, he'd have FAR more bites if he couldn't read dogs at least a little. Some of his personal videos at the dog sanctuary show a different side of him. The bites and the drama are part of the T.V. show, and though I do not encourage people to kick dogs and get in snarling dogs faces, he's not as clueless as some people claim he is. I can go off in Stilwell, who I dislike as much as Cesar but for different reasons, but I'll save that for another day.
Victoria Stilwell is not a dog trainer nor a behaviourizt-she's a failed actress turned dog walker-now a TV personality who learnt & changed her"methods"after the first series on US TV after comments from the UK when the US show was aired here in the UK. Not someone I have a lot of time for as like Millan she too is a TV personality with not much real knowledge of dog behaviour.
The Shiba Inu he tried to "Alpha Roll" did serious damage when it bit him, it had to be dragged off him(& off screen)& when he reappeared his arm was heavily bandaged & the dog had obviously been subdued by use of the "Illusion"collar or sedated. He was also badly bitten by the Bulldog puppy when he again attempted to "Alpha Roll"it before putting a harness on it.

Each time he says"I didn't see that coming" he's the only one who misreads the dogs behaviour.

However this very old thread is about Jan Fennell & not Millan, JF BTW is like VS English, she has only had one UK only aired TV series, in which she also shows her lack of understanding of dog behaviour, which she shares most "Domination" based TV presenters
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 07:58 AM
I've seen Stilwell, but not Jan. I have not even heard of her before now. I dislike dominance based training. I do not roll dogs over, kick them, or "nip" their necks. All that stuff is totally silly and unnecessary. I believe, like Cesar and many other dominance based trainers, that when we begin to fear our dogs, the real problems set in. Letting your dog know you fear or dislike him causes more problems than many let on. You dog has food aggression, and you're too scared to go near him, fail. You dog lunges at other dogs, you're too scared to try and distract him, fail. Your giant dog jumps, you're so scared of being knocked over, you try to avoid him, fail.

Positive training is about trust and love. If it's mutual and human has patience, it'll work almost all the time. Respect goes both ways. A dog won't learn to respect you if all you do is try to dominate him where he can't even be a dog. To him, you're just being mean. He will learn to fear you and obey sadly without wags or happiness, avoid you to not have to deal with you, or hate you and turn on you. Pit bulls here attack their own families all the time, makes you wonder what is going on. No such thing as perfect dog behavior.

So in lieu, if this Jan person speaks about and uses dominance based training, it is no wonder she is widely disliked. It's pure garbage, and even though I will raise my voice every now and then, I think dominance is just pure garbage. No physical contact is usually needed and if it is, only reward pats.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8