View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Oh I don't have Sky, so won't be able to see his techniques for myself unfortunately.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Jan Fennell's fee's for one to one are here( £300 + vat !)+mileage you don't get to see the "wonder woman" very often anymore BTW only an acolyte

I thought she might not be too bad until I saw her with one of her GSDs @ Crufts in the ring(before she was world famous), using a very fine chain choker tight up under his ears the judge could not get near him & he was obviously extremely distressed & ended up last in the class, obviously she hadn't bonded with him very well . She doesn't show her GSDs or ESS's anymore The ESS are now handled by her partner.

She was in Australia recently & although some of Joe Public may have thought she is the bee's knees a lot of people were most disappointed in her presentation(mainly trying to sell her new book was the main complaint)
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by ChaKira View Post
http://dogpsychologycenter.com/cesar/
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Oh I don't have Sky, so won't be able to see his techniques for myself unfortunately.
if you go to that site and in the 'dog whisperer' bit theres four clips.... if you want to see any of his stuff
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I am NOT a fan - was devastated one Christmas when I received 3 copies of her book!!!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I've found my opinion of her lessen over time. I have all of her books, but that's because I happen to like the subject, and the author is rather less important to me.

I watched the 'Down Under' series and that helped me form the final view that I now have:

I think she has some fundamentally good methods and/or theories. Good in that if they are applied consistently then I can't see the dog getting any worse. However, I no longer feel that her methods are the most effective and are dipped a little too much in the increasingly popular oil of "Remember, your dog has feelings too...." nonsense.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Hmm, not a Jan or Cesar fan - if I was forced to make a choice I'd say Jan, although her views are 10 years out of date. Cesar uses prongs, electric collars and debatable methods and so I just will not watch him...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Hmm, not a Jan or Cesar fan - if I was forced to make a choice I'd say Jan, although her views are 10 years out of date. Cesar uses prongs, electric collars and debatable methods and so I just will not watch him...
Agree with Wys I saw a couple of videos belonging to CM that were posted on here and was shocked at how little this man was able to read from a dogs body language. His recommendation was to pin the dog down for being friendly and exuberant
If I had to choose between the two it would also be JF at least she doesn't pin dogs down (that I am aware of). I prefer neither really.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I have found personally that
Some of Jan's methods work although she is a bit dated now,and like GSD Lover I enjoy reading her books
got another one of her's at Christmas.

I am def. not a fan of Ceasar would not watch him as I think his methods are cruel.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
A
If I had to choose between the two it would also be JF at least she doesn't pin dogs down (that I am aware of).

She does
One televised example was an Irish Wolfhound who was very people sociable - just lively and bubbly basically - when they visited his home and he was a bit clumsy about it, [ not suprised, the room was very badly organised considering there were two very large dogs in the home which barely had room to turn without there being furniture and two huge crates in the way, so combine the dogs huge size with lack of maneuvering space and being pleased to see people, what does the owner expect but for him to `seem` more physically OTT that he really was ?! ].
The Wolfhound had a right foreleg elbow joint problem for which he`d had surgeries [ one not long before the filming but I cant remember exactly how soon before ] and had more due to be done very soon after which were scheduled. The huge lumpy joint was more than evident as was his limp.
Fennel forced him down, which was bad enough, but forced him on to the bad leg, pinned him there by the collar and refused to release him til he`d `submitted`.
The body language was most evident - he was in pain and gave up struggling because it hurt him to try to lift his weight off the leg so he rolled back a bit to ease it that way. Fennel of course exlaimed that he`d submitted to her but to anyone watching with half a brain cell and no dog experience at all, it was nothing to do with any deference to her.
If I`d been the vet who had been doing the surgeries on the lad and saw what she`d done, I`d have been giving her a lesson in physical dominance I can tell you

On the offchance, I just googled for info on the episode and this is the write up for it - maybe others will remember it ?

"Episode 2:
Janet Sherry from Brighton, whose nine-month-old Irish Wolfhound, Murphy is driving his owner to distraction. Murphy who suffers from osteo-arthritis and elbow dysplasia, is so hyperactive that it has been suggested to Janet that he should be put to sleep. Can Jan’s techniques help Janet save Murphy’s life and restore a sense of harmony to the household?"
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I think alot of her methods are ok.

For someone new to dogs, it isn't really a bad place to start.

Certainly not going to do a dog any harm if followed by people. Not that I have seen anyway.

I think some of her theories are a little questionable but although they differ sometimes to what I would think myself I notice she does pretty much the same things I do with my dogs naturally. Most of it being common sense.

Different theories as to why they are doing such behaviours but similar ideas on how to train them.

All anyone needs to remember is to not quote her word for word and think the reason why one dog is doing something will be the same reason another dog does it or that the same method will have the same result. Same with any other trainer or method.

I don't see any of the more well known trainers as the epitome at all, just regular people with their own ideas and so long as they are always using kind methods then I think they are ok.

No trainer or anyone else in any given field is a god like person who people should follow 100% I think you have to make your own mind up and go with your own instinct as to what would be right for your dog and leave bits out or make use of other bits that you find may be of help.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »