register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-03-2015, 03:43 PM
I know someone who bred and showed St Bernards for many many years, and I have mentioned this question to her today as a matter of fact, and she near fainted. As far as she is concerned there is not a doubt in her mind that Saints should not be subjected to any regime where their skeleton is put under undue stress. I knew what she would say actually because I remember her telling me about a couple who bought a St Bernard puppy and they took it on long walks, despite her speaking to them and imploring them not to. They ignored her advice and went their own way, because they knew better, the puppy was PTS before it was 2 years old due to it being crippled due to over exercise.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Sandgrubber - I would beg to differ in as much as labrador retrievers are not a giant breed like a Saint B and are in general a far more active dog and their joints, muscles etc although likely to be subjected to stress by the wrong sort of activity are far less likely to suffer permanent injury in the same way one of the real heavyweights would.
I agree that Saints are much heavier than Labs, and there may be a difference. The study I referred to did four breeds, including the Newfie, Leonberger, Irish Wolfhound, and Labrador, so would seem to apply to some giant breeds. The concept that bone and muscle should develop together seems to cross breed lines. There are old wives tales in many areas of life, including dog health.
Can you reference any study results to support the notion that juvenile exercise leads to later life bone problems in giant breeds?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2