Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarabe8139
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2015, 07:02 PM

Jumping dog

Hello everyone! My dog Scout is a little over one year old. She's a black lab/border collie mix so needless to say she has a TON of energy. She's good off leash, doesn't bolt or run away, and we have quite a few off leash dog parks and beaches near our house. I really love being able to take her there in the mornings before work and on the weekends, but we do have one problem - she's a jumper. I usually take her early enough in the morning that other people aren't there but if there are other people there she jumps ALL over them and completely forgets her obedience training. It's gotten to the point where I've just decided not to take her to these places until she grows out of it or learns to control herself. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to train her not to jump all over strangers? Thanks so much in advance!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Well, my boy is a Labby guy too, often known to jump. He would knock over small children and jump into the laps of wheelchair bound elderly people. He can reach his paws to the shoulders of someone 5'5" and he's 40 kg and heavy pawed, so it's too dangerous to let him do that.

You've got to stay vigilant. My boy had to be leashed and when he met people, he'd stay leashed so I could control him. Any attempts at jumping were quelled by the 3 foot control lead. He was then given a sit command and praise or a small treat.

At home, we did allow some jumping, but as this can confuse the dog, best not to allow this at home. Learn to see a jump coming, and either dodge backwards quickly and give a sit command, or if you're comfortable with this, you can raise a knee slightly which will bounce the dog off, and then give a sit command.

These methods helped my boy. If he had kept jumping, we'd have had to avoid children and we could not do our volunteer therapy sessions, which we do enjoy immensely. He also knocked my mother, who is small framed, into a wall once. Dangerous stuff.

Btw, we tried the turning your back thing and the ignore thing, and it did not work for us. We just ended up with a dog who kept trying to jump, and some ugly arm scratches to boot. But these methods might work for your dog, too.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2015, 08:53 PM
You'll need to use a harness and long line on Scout to give you control over her.
I had this problem with my own dog Pip who loves people. Its very rewarding for a friendly dog to jump up people especially those who also make a fuss of him or her so you need to use very tasty treats like dried liver or cocktail sausages to make it more rewarding to come back to you .

When people approached or we approached them , i would veer off in another direction and say This Way and clicked and treated him when he reached me. I kept the line quite short about 20 to 30 feet. I also walked him on a lead where there would be other people say in the street or parenst watching their chidrens football match and click and treated him when he ignored people. You need to do this a lot and be really sure she will come back when you dont use the loing line.
When you first let her off the long line , be sure you are not too close to people before you call her back or veer away , set yourself up for sucess.

You also need to ask people to ignore Scout , really annoying those friendly dog owners who give your dogs treats when you are trying to train them

I aslo taught him recall to a whistle , I primed the whistle first , I stood by him and two pips of the whistle and then gave him the treat when he looked at me . So he knew the whistle meant a treat , tried it in other rooms and the garden and then the park and fields when he was not too far away . I found it more effective than just calling him when he is intent on something.

You can also teach Off incase she does approach someone when shes not on her harness, its better she keeps her paws on the ground instead if jumping up.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Btw, we tried the turning your back thing and the ignore thing, and it did not work for us. We just ended up with a dog who kept trying to jump, and some ugly arm scratches to boot. But these methods might work for your dog, too.
It didnt work fro me with Pip JRTx , he used to nip the back of our legs , it really hurt.
In his case I counter commanded and asked him to sit . he learnt that a sit meant he got attention .

I adopted Pip when he was about 18 months . he was found straying and taken to a pound where he was saved by a rescue so he came with some baggage.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
It didnt work fro me with Pip JRTx , he used to nip the back of our legs , it really hurt.
In his case I counter commanded and asked him to sit . he learnt that a sit meant he got attention .
Yup. Doing a sit in jumpy situations helped Nigredo, too. It got him to calm down, and he got the attention he was seeking. Strangers won't tell your dog to sit, though... so you've gotta go a different direction.

Because my Nigredo mostly jumped on children (they excite him so) I really had to go the drastic route and use a short lead for training not to jump. Several small children went tumbling to the ground before I nipped it.

Some cried, but most thought it fun and had a grand giggle. The angry looks and choice words from parents, though... not fun.