View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2015, 09:59 PM
If " no one really knows anything " on social networks then that would also include you and Losos as well as all the people you are disagreeing with .

I agree to a certain extent , i have already mentioned in a recent thread about the responsibilty you have in making sure your advice and info is acurate . A little learning can be a dangerous thing .

There are many out in the real world who dont believe in the Donminace theory and who are well known scientists, behaviourists , trainers . vets . karen Overall , John Bradshaw , James Oheare, peter Neville are just a few.

No one person or one thing is that marvellous. Read and do your own research .
Dont limit yourself to one person .
Barry eatons Dominance :Fact or Fiction is a good place to start .
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2015, 10:21 PM
I think you have had plenty of answers, but I am another who doesn't believe in dominance when working with dogs. To me dominance is another label for aggression and only causes the dog to become fearful, yes you might end up with a 'well behaved' dog but I very much believe a fearful dog is a dangerous dog.
I support gentle hands off training, to shape behaviour using rewards or punishments that suit the dog. In the case of most typical friendly dogs the best punishment is removing the dog from the room or ignoring them. The best being food, toys and fuss.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
There are many out in the real world who dont believe in the Donminace theory and who are well known scientists, behaviourists , trainers . vets . karen Overall , John Bradshaw , James Oheare, peter Neville are just a few.
ALL of them just never had a dog like our Baruska, my belief is NOT based on any academics or front of camera egoists or anyone (Although I did quote Dr. Coren)

Not all dogs have this pack leader / dominance thing of course they don't it would be naive to say otherwise, but it exists and I will NOT be talked down to by people I've never met face to face and will never meet in the real world.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2015, 12:15 AM
I don't think anyone has meant any offence, I know this forum is usually full of caring supportive people that just want the best for dogs.

From what I know the basis of dominance theory came from studying captive wolves that were forced to live together. There are many studies out there to support both sides of the argument, but my hope is that all dogs can live without fear and be taught through shaping behaviour in a more gentle and positive way.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
ALL of them just never had a dog like our Baruska, my belief is NOT based on any academics or front of camera egoists or anyone (Although I did quote Dr. Coren)

Not all dogs have this pack leader / dominance thing of course they don't it would be naive to say otherwise, but it exists and I will NOT be talked down to by people I've never met face to face and will never meet in the real world.
I'm sure there are very assertive and confident dogs out there.
I have stanley corans book How to speak dog .
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2