View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Totally understand you being angry,must be awful not being able to walk your dog in peace This person obviously has no respect or manners doubt they care much for their own dog's safety,let alone anyone else's Gone on long enough and like others have said,it needs to be reported.You have nothing to feel bad about,you have asked politely in the past and nothing has changed.Why should you have to be on constant alert when out with Ben? It's so unfair.
Really wish you well,hope things get sorted(( hugs))
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Look up dog control orders in Kent and see if they have a control order for your area stating dogs to be kept on lead along roads etc. Then contact your environmental officer. They are usually also dog wardens. Hope that helps.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Thats a good point Brenda,
I looked on my local London Borough website and it says that dogs must be on leads if they are within 3 feet of a road .
You can be fined if you dont.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Try ringing your local Environment Agency at the local Council and ask about lead laws for your estate/area. Explain what has happened and I would imagine they will transfer you through to your local dog warden if you have one. The dog warden will probably visit the owners of the wayward dog and caution them as to the Law regarding lead laws in your area and advise them of any other laws that apply.

Good luck. It's a terrible situation to be in for both you and your dog xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Oh they'll be 'special people' who don't think the laws apply to them
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Oh they'll be 'special people' who don't think the laws apply to them
Or believe their dogs, especially small ones, are so emotionally fragile, they won't correct their bad behaviour in case they upset them!

I belong to several dog forums and over the weekend have been up in arms and annoyed by a post from an owner whose small dog has taken a dislike to her neighbour's small dog. Every time the two dogs see each other the neighbour's dog becomes over excited and rushes up to the owner's dog who immediately reacts by growling, barking and attacking it and on the last occasion the two dogs had to be pulled apart.

What makes me mad is that despite this having happened several times neither owner will put the their dog on a lead, or do anything to prevent it happening. the excuse being that neither dog will listen to them or be distracted by the "fashionable" methods, and anyway, their precious pooches are only small and (so far) have never hurt each other! And the aggressive one is only attacking because its jealous of the other one running up to his mum and its his way of protecting her! How stupid can you get??

A few weeks ago after training I got engrossed in conversation with the owner of an enormous Tibetan Mastiff. Both my two were on leads and standing by my side as was the TM who was lying down. I have to admit I wasn't taking much notice of my two though and it came as a surprise when my Mini Schnauzer started to growl then launched himself at the TM! Luckily the TM was half asleep and didn't react and because my boy was on his lead and I was quick to restrain him, no harm was done. A week later, under very similar circumstances, the TM bit a friend's Cane Corso for no apparent reason. Now if that had been my Mini on the receiving end I dread to think what injuries he would have suffered!
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Oh yes off leash dogs lolloping over unsolicited, regardless of intent, grinds my gears too. I know its not the...British way...but dont be afraid to warn the offending dog off through whatever means necessary. And yes as already stated complain to the dog warden, if you meet any other walkers on your route find out if they've had problems and if they would back your case.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2014, 03:01 AM
So sorry you're in this situation...different where we live. There are numerous leash laws and just as many owners who even after repeated tickets still let their dogs off leash and running the neighborhood.

There's a Newfie and Ambull a few blocks down that show up together often enough that we walk them home sometimes. Two huge dogs crossing busy streets, it's sad. Animal control knows the owners and dogs by name.

A dachshund let out the back door by the park. Its owner always just smirks that " Oh he won't wander much past our sidewalk". You live facing a road that dumps onto the parkway...you're going to be cleaning that pup off the street someday <<<shudder>>>

All you can do is keep reporting, maybe where you are if enough people raise a fuss something will be accomplished. Hugs and good luck to you!
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2015, 08:46 PM
This is not a nice thing. But here's the deal: are you being threatened by this person? Are they, by letting their uncontrolled dog run loose, causing a threat to you? If so, call the police. This is antisocial behaviour and it must not be tolerated. Seriously. Your local police need to know about your local hoodlums and they are on your side. And so are we.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 09:31 PM
In the meantime you can carry pepper spray until the authorities can get this person and their dog under control. Not sure how things work over there, but is there a way to have another person walk with you and have them record this out of control dog in case it charges at you and your dog again? This way if they retaliate with you having pepper spray you will have proof of the danger their dog is.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >