View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I use a combination of leads - a short lead for heel work, a police training lead (double ended) when walking near roads on normal walks, a flexi lead for general walks and I've got a 30ft training lead when she's playing with her ball! The reason being is she's not allowed off lead so lots of variety for her!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 11:15 AM
I usually use a flexi lead for Benji although its a pain if you meet another dog with one and they get all tangled up
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I always use a flexi on Georgie (my rescue) if there are other dogs around, if not, he's allowed to roam free with Cassie. I don't want to put a normal lead on him to restrict his morning walk, but I just can't trust the little monkey if he spots another dog in the distance, he's been known to leg it if I don't correct him in time, he's off! Cassie on the other hand has a normal lead which is only put on if I see another dog/dogs on lead, just in case, coz she likes to go over and say hello and goes deaf on me sometimes! Again though, if I manage to say "no" in time, she stays offlead coz I can at least trust she will do what I say - most of the time!
tashuk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2006, 02:46 PM
we are really lucky as we live across the road from a great big field so we only use ordinary lead to cross the road then the dogs are let off
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 05:53 PM
The flexi was a godsend when Cassie was a pup because if she ever did decide to leg it, I would have never caught her We prefer the normal lead now though as it gives more control and as soon as we're on the beach or in the park, she's off lead the entire time. We're lucky to have the beach so close to allow us to do this
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 06:10 PM
I prefer ordinary slip leads and my dogs aren't often on lead anyhow (except on roads) as I can trust them to come back when called.

I did buy a flexi for my first dog though as she couldn't be trusted in some situations and it was great for her, as she could have a mooch around but still be under control.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 09:42 PM
I just use an ordinary leather lead, I can't use flexi leads as I find it difficult walking multiple dogs with those great big handles in my hand. Four dogs - four leads - two hands - doesn't add up!!!!
I do think they are dangerous when used near roads, I often see people walking their dogs on Flexi leads at full length of approx 15 ft on a 6ft footpath that gives the dog 9ft of lead to get into the middle of the road. As a driver it is often difficult to see the lead when you are driving towards the owner/dog. There have been many times when I have thought that dogs have been off lead.

I do appreciate that they can be a godsend for dogs which, for one reason or another, can't come off lead.
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Ordinary leads for me, I am lucky enough to have plenty of free area to let them off the leash without coming to any harm at all or meeting other dogs and the worry that our girl especially may just push her luck a bit far. So our walks consist of leash on the pavements and along the roads and once we are safe they can go do their doggie fun. Both mine are good at recall too.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 01:48 AM
I prefer normal leads although I think flexi leads are ok if people like them and use them right. I hate it though when I see people with them by roads and the dog is miles away wandering all over the place

I had a flexi lead when I first got Brandie. I thought it would be easier at first when she couldn't come off the lead. It was good partly but I didn't feel in control and hardly and always had it locked at a short length anyway so that I didn't worry She was quite a big dog so I also always thought that it would snap It broke after a few months. It would reel out then get stuck and not come back in So I swapped to a thick rope lead and loved it. I've also used horse leads and they were good too.
The flexi was helpful when I was teaching her recall outside though - I could let her wander off but if she didn't respond she was still onlead. I suppose that is the same as a long line but I get tangled up with them
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 06:16 AM
I much prefer a normal lead, I think a flexi lead is good if you have a dog that walks well and isnt prone to charging off - me walking a 9 stone rottweiler on a flexi is a big NO
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >