View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks for that guy's. The problem I have is that there seems to be two distinct camps. The Cesar Milan methods or the reward based approach. The second of these is the one I prefer but as he seems to be not very motivated by this it is difficult to know what to do next & to be confident that I am doing the right thing. I guess somewhere in the middle is probably best but I just don't want to end up with him totally confused. Suffice to say wether I am right or wrong we will muddle through together & nobody will be taking him out of my sight after some of the horror stories that I've heared over here.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by imbat View Post
George is fear aggressive & although he knows his basic commands they all go out of the window if there are any distractions. He nearly got into serious trouble today with a Rotty but luckily there was a gate between them
As he is my first dog I have never had to look for a trainer & here in Turkey there is not a lot of choice & those that there are all claim to be fantastic but what should I be looking for to make sure they know what they are doing ???
How are you on the reading front?

I would suggest you buy yourself acopy of James O Heare's small booklet called TheDog Aggression Workbook, it's a small book for owners, and if you DO end up getting help then you will know how to judge the person and what to look for in a good trainer

Secondly, get hold of Pat McConnell's The Cautious Canine which gives help for fearful dogs. Both books are reasonably cheap and the second one by PM can be read quickly so that you can perhaps start to work already with your dog.

LAT, BAT etc can come after perhaps, but it will not hurt to follow what is in The Cautious Canine as it gives a good understanding of basic classical conditioning which can help to alter the emotions.

Other good resources are Dog Star Daily, anything by Suzanne Clothier, Grisha Stewart, Sarah Whitehead, David Ryan, Jean Donaldson, Gwen Bailey, Karen Pryor, Brenda Aloff, Sarah Fisher, Nicole Wilde etc. Do look into the books/booklets and dvds written by these guys.

Wys
x
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for that The problem here though is that I have ordered books on Amazon from the uk three times now & none have turned up I'll check out those names though & see if there is any info on the web
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi imbat - I too have a dog reactive dog and he too got a bit lairy with a rottweiller once! I can only second what WYS has said above in terms of getting the books if you can and then seeking a trainer - can you not order them direct with a book shop?

I have worked extensively with mine with BAT (just google it) and it really works, this morning he saw a brown Labrador across the field - his idea of a nightmare and although he reacted he very quickly turned around of is own accord and wagged his tail at me. We're not out of the woods yet by a long shot but getting there. I am now trying LAT to see if that can help us along.

I absolutely dread to think what could have become of my lad had I been introduced to anything else - anything else would have increased his anxiety, lowered his confidence and I would have had a much more aggressive dog on my hands and then I suspect the only answer would have been euthanasia.

Good luck and do let me know how you get on - I really would be interested to know.

Just wanted to add to the list of good authors Grisha Stewart - very keen on BAT.

I keep ending the post and then adding things! Also wanted to say that there is something out there that he will be motivated by - it's just a matter of finding it and then keeping it, so he only gets it when he's out and about and you need his attention in an instant - my savioiur came in the shape of a Boomer ball - he would jump of a cliff for his boomer ball.
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks Baxter I will look into this BAT stuff tomorrow. The main problem here is that the majority of the dogs are off leash here & more often than not without owners so training him from a distance is almost impossible & this being my first dog it's all a bit confusing but I will keep battling on. He is a lovely boy but scared of his own shadow
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Others might disagree on here - but sometimes when they're very nervous such as yours and there's potential problems with others dogs out on a walk, I would ask if it is necessary to take him out at all, if you've got a yard you can play ball with him, hide food so he has to run around to find it, do general obedience training i.e teaching him to sit and go down, shake a paw etc.. and generally play with him that might be all the exercise he needs. He doesn't have to go on a walk every day does he?

Thanks Baxter I will look into this BAT stuff tomorrow. The main problem here is that the majority of the dogs are off leash here & more often than not without owners so training him from a distance is almost impossible & this being my first dog it's all a bit confusing but I will keep battling on. He is a lovely boy but scared of his own shadow
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
I take him out at the crack of dawn every morning just to give him a change of scenery & some excercise. I feel that if he never goes out he will end up more territorial than he already is which is bad enough but I just think that some social interaction at a distance would help but possibly not. I guess I just like to think that it is going to help him to some degree but I could be wrong. I'm the one that hardly gets out these days as he freaks if we leave him
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Sounds like he has some separation anxiety too - poor lad, he is very lucky to have found you.

I don't think taking him out and giving him a change of scenery will stop him becoming territorial, in my experience dogs become territorial for all kinds of reasons, I haven't noticed my boy being territorial over me or the house - which is a bit strange.

I hope somebody will step in and give you more advice than I am able but I have a very strong feeling that your focus might be best placed on bonding with him, making him feel safe in the world, training him basic obedience, playing with him. Maybe if you're going out very early in the morning and there aren't too many dogs around that might be a good idea. Is there anybody you know that also has a dog - a confident one, that you could practice BAT with? Letting him see the dog but giving him the choices to turn away?

I'm editing this post because I did a quick search for separation anxiety - because it sounds to me like your dog has generalised anxiety i.e separation, dogs, even maybe loud noises, men etc..

Here's a link to another thread that might help

I need urgent help with a severe separation anxiety dog

I take him out at the crack of dawn every morning just to give him a change of scenery & some excercise. I feel that if he never goes out he will end up more territorial than he already is which is bad enough but I just think that some social interaction at a distance would help but possibly not. I guess I just like to think that it is going to help him to some degree but I could be wrong. I'm the one that hardly gets out these days as he freaks if we leave him
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks again Baxter I think it is a general thing. We had a friend come round last night & although he has met him several times he still cowered in the corner & would not let him get near. There is a guy who walks a dog on a lead round here & I am trying to see if he will let me & George tag along at a distance on a walk but as I don't speak Turkish it will be difficult but when I next see them I will give it a try.
Thanks again for the info. You've been a great help
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
George is fear aggressive & although he knows his basic commands they all go out of the window if there are any distractions. He nearly got into serious trouble today with a Rotty but luckily there was a gate between them
As he is my first dog I have never had to look for a trainer & here in Turkey there is not a lot of choice & those that there are all claim to be fantastic but what should I be looking for to make sure they know what they are doing ???
Hi it is really difficult,I think you have to listen to other dog owners in your area,because I chose a dog trainer because of all the fancy association badges they quoted as belonging too,but I came unstuck.crystalgirl
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2