View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-10-2011, 04:33 PM
The latest thing is his barking. Either a dog or cat will set him off but once he is there there is no calming him. I try cornering him & getting him to sit & calm down, sometimes for 20 mins or so but as soon as I go in he is off again. Headache
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:24 PM
A street dog could be suffering from (or carrying) anything from leishmans disease to rabies so I understand the vet`s advice.
I had a major breakthrough with my youngster today. He grabbed Daisy`s ball as well as his own and did his loopy dance thing so I put his lead on, sat down and waited. After only a few minutes he spat Daisy`s out, then actually gave me the other so I could throw it for him.
I think we need to remember that with dog training, repetition is everything.
Teach your dog an alternative behaviour when he is calm - perhaps a finding game or a Watch me? Then start to use it before he is fully wound up - then try it when he goes into headless chicken mode?
Of course, you might have to put him onlead first and doing some boring heelwork first? I find that helps them recover their sanity.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
A street dog could be suffering from (or carrying) anything from leishmans disease to rabies so I understand the vet`s advice.
Good God, if the dog had Rabies or Leishmaniesis the vet should be advising that the dog is not kept in human company!

Both are serious and often FATAL diseases to humans as well as dogs!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2