Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2004, 10:01 PM

Why did you choose your breed?

Why did you all choose the breed of dog you have then? and would you change to another breed if your circumstances ie -space - time - age, were different?
Karen
liberty
Dogsey Senior

18-04-2004, 10:09 PM
When I was really small, we used to holiday at a Hotel in Allendale, they had a Golden Retriever, called Barley, and I adored him
So when I had the opportunity to have a dog of my own, a Golden it was, Bree, now 14 and a bit yr old.

Choosing a second dog was harder, as I didn't want to 'replace' Bree, so after a bit of homework, and a love of Gundogs, we chose flatcoat, libby who has been fortunate to live to 2yr

Personally, I could not see myself without a G.R or a FCR

liberty

Edited to correct my appalling spelling !!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2004, 08:00 AM
We wanted a boxer because OH had one when he was young, also with 3 children we wanted a dog with plenty of energy to keep up with the kids.

As it turns out we have a lazy boxer who does not get up til lunch time . She thinks lifes not worth living unless the kids are around.

Carole
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Me and OH were just chatting about getting another dog but with no experience of breeds, as all my dogs as a child where mongrals from cat and dog home we decided to research all the different breeds - it came down to a boxer or a staff - I went to look at some boxer puppies and fell in love - so now I don't think I could be without one and as soon as we move to a bigger house I am getting another one

Love sam and sonny
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2004, 10:44 AM
I have had Dalmatians for 20 years, I chose the breed because they were my favourite when I was a child. As soon as I got married that was my first purchase a Dally puppy (Gerald) and following that a year later a Dally bitch puppy (Zoe). A year later I got a Yorkie pup (Oliver). Over the years I have rescued a few cross breds as well. Last year I rescued Max but I had always wanted a Boxer so last year when I had only got Max left I went and got Saffy.

Sue
Joe
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2004, 04:52 PM
My parents bought me a Dachshund when I was eight after years of 'borrowing' strangers dogs. Look strage, acts stranger but the bond's there. Will always be a dachsie bloke - does nothing for my image
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2004, 06:33 PM
When I was growing up, I was never allowed a dog so I walked everyone elses. When I started working full time and still living at home, I was allowed a dog but it had to be fairly small. One of the dogs that I walked was a springer spaniel and fell in love with the breed and they are fairly medium sized.

A few years later, I started thinking about another dog. I didn't want another springer and always liked the spinone. I met a friends spin and thought they were too big for me so had another think and found the gwp. They do look fairly similar and researched everything about them. Fell in love with them after I had met a few and along came Harvey.

Just after I started researching gwp's, I met my husband and he had 2 pointers. Pointers are the one breed that I've never really liked although I knew nothing about them. They aren't a breed I could live with if they weren't worked as they are hard work. They have a fantastic temperament though and the three we have are absolute darlings but give me my "brown" dogs any day.

I can't see myself without springers and gwps now. I think that if/when we stop working dogs on the moor, we won't get another pointer but they are the best dog for the job so we will continue to have them.

Helen
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2004, 08:40 PM
It must have been fate... we wasn't really looking for another dog, just yet... but we missed having one.

One night me and Ian registered on Dogpages and looked at all types of dogs that needed new loving homes.

But in all honestly there was nothing that caught our eye, (sounds awful)and then it must have been 2 maybe 3 days later... and there was an AB called Chester that needed to be rehomed.

I remember panicking because someone else also replyied saying that they were very interested aswell... i kept thinking, thats it we havn't got a chance of having him... but after many emails and sending photo's of where he would be living, we went see him... he wasn't house trained and wouldn't walk on a lead, but the final decision was down to me, and i have never regreted it... infact i would have another, it would be fantastic company for him and us.

He is the best with my 2 children and has also started to patrol the house during the night and growls at any noise, just to let you know something is going on.

I wouldn't know what i would do without him... he is my boy and love him to bits
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2004, 10:40 PM
i used to take all the neighbours dogs out as a kid-------my 1st own dog as a married person in my own home was a rottie-were talikg about 22 years back, --- i had and showed this breed for a long while, until age & back probs which in turn caused me to put on weight as i couldnt do what i did before-so looked around for a different breed. -- i made a few mistakes but kept looking at the shar-pei, however they where pretty grotty for a long while , i think the bringing in of a few american imports changed the breed for the better, fronts-skin and temperaments all improved-so i watched and looked to see which lines i liked and bought in a shar-pei, ive never looked back, theyre lovley dogs to live with, and i bred my 1st ever litter in all those years, my very 1st litter from poppy produced casey, the breed record holder- i repeated that breeding and sold the pic bitch to ireland-she is now a champion too and was also the top shar-pei in 2003, --so im now waiting for poppys final litter and hoping to get something nice to show from it, fingers crossed/
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2004, 11:26 AM
As a child my family had Cockers then when I was adult and able I started taking in rescue GSD’s with behavioural problem some of which I would sometimes keep. After doing this for some years we decided we would like a puppy and if possible something a bit smaller than the GSD. We looked in a magazine that was available at that time called ‘What Dog’ and made a short list. We then went to shows to meet these breeds and them after whittling it down to just 2 we visited several breeders of these breeds. The two breeds chosen were the Smooth Collie and the Norwegian Elkhound, the final choice, an Elkhound and from the moment we took Fred home we were hooked. Something to do with our masochistic tendencies I think
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »