Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2004, 07:14 AM

Bigger space for Luna when home alone

Hi All

I've just been offered another appartment. Its the same building in fact the same staircase as I live now just two storeys lower than now. Yeepee I'm so happy, but it brings up some concerns aswell

Luna has by accident gotten into my livingroom when I was at work and destroyed almost everything.

Normally she has the area : the hall, bathroom and kitchen. This is a picture of my present appartment:

As I can see the names are written in danish soo I'll translate:
vaerelse: bedroom, koekken: kitchen, entre: hall, stue: livingroom, bad: bathroom

Now I think I can close the the door to the livingroom in the new appartment but its a very dark hall and the only light will come from the bathroom window. Here is apicture of the new appartment:

Here the translations are the same with an extra thing: altan: balcony! It is a closed balcony, with windows you can roll to the side.

Can I train Luna to leave my things alone, so she also can be in the kitchen and livingroom (really one big room)? Oh and cages are not and option as I'm away to long for that.

Oh if the pictures are a bit big, I'll go back and shrink them right away.

Jeanette
moo
Dogsey Senior

19-05-2004, 07:59 AM
do you leave exciting toys and things about to keep luna interested and entertained, when i leave Mia in the house she has full run of everywhere downstairs, i make sure she has loads of interesting toys to 'play' with and a few knuckle bones kept in the kitchen, 9 times out of 10 she is really good and never chews anything, maybe this could work with Luna?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi

Luna has always 2 raw hide bones lying around. She gets most of her breakfast in a socalled Funny bone. Is kind of like the Buster Cube (if you know that one) just in softer material as I don't have a carpet in the hall and kitchen. I live on the 3. floor and my neighbour downstairs is a pensioner so is home during the day.

She loves teddies but she destroys them and I'm a bit nervous about her perhaps get choked. My friends former dog choked to death because she hat chewed on her blanket which was filled with the same stuffing as a Teddy.

Cardboard boxes are okay at times but not always.

Do you have any ideas?

Jeanette
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Hi Jeanette, you sound as if you are going a lot already

I use a kong when I have to go out. I fill it with cheese, meat and anything tasty. Also I freeze it so it lasts a bit longer.
moo
Dogsey Senior

19-05-2004, 08:19 AM
hi,

how about hard toys/chews something that she cant destroy in 5 minutes, mia had this toy that has a hole in one side, you put gravy bones etc in it and she has to move it around until the bones come out, keeps her entertained for hours
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2004, 08:29 AM
Thats sort of what the funny bone is. But I'm going to try and find some other things aswell, so she doesn't get bored.

I might just ask today when going to buy the dogfood, perhaps they have some good ideas in the store.

Thanx

Jeanette
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Hi Jeanette

I got a type of Kong on the internet, it comes in 2 parts and you unscrew it and fill it with treats etc (i used peanut butter) it took ages for milly to get it all and kept her occupied for ages, also a tip on her (from Carole) i think was to fill kong with a mixture and freeze it, lasts ages. I got the toy on crosskeys i think i will find out what it is called.

moo
Dogsey Senior

19-05-2004, 08:37 AM
mines blue with 3 knobles on it, it has a hole in the bottom to put food in then she just batts it about until the food comes out, i put gravy bones in so that the are not to small and only one comes out at a time. sorry i cant remember the name of it, i'm sure when you go get the dogfood they will know what it is
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I'll try and ask.

If I wnet for a Kong, which I know they have, what size would you pick for a labrador?

Jeanette
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi Jeanette, I would go for a large kong, they come in all colours. I have heard that there is a black kong for strong chewers. I am going to get that one for Star.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »