Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 07:19 PM

Writing e-mails to the Teagasc

Hey all.

Thought you might be interested in this - the more people that complain the better - and the more chance there is of them stopping this ridiculous idea.

I got this from an Irish pet forum I'm a member of - and everyone there is writing mails to the Teagasc to tell them how irresponsible they are being. This applies mostly to dogs (esp racing greys) and also to all other animals (I have a great concern for the small furries I so dearly love).

We all know that Ireland's animal welfare is poor at the best of times - this is the last thing they need:

http://www.teagasc.ie/startingyourow...ortunities.htm

Read down - basically - they are saying that as an extra source of income - farmers should breed dogs/greyhounds/horses/cattle/hamsters etc etc etc.

Please help us fight this - and post any replies you get from letters you have written here. Thank you so much.

xx

ETA: i basically thought that this would lead to the worst type of breeding and puppy farming... I can't stress enough how important it is that we do our best to fight it.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Does anyone have any toughts on this? I thought it was quite a big deal...

We have a template of sorts, which I will put up later. If no-one is realy into the idea though, I'll just let it slide.

xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Zounds it looks similar to the deal that was offered to Welsh farmers in order to encourage them to diversify, and I was told by a Welsh friend that some of the grants went to fund puppy farms in her area...she is too scare to say where for fear or reprisals. Unfortunately some of those in governments who have little knowledge of the 'dog world' do not realise the repercussions of encouraging people to breed dogs as 'cash crops'..some people in Wales demonstrated to no effect.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 11:28 AM
tell me about it. we were recently branded as a puppy farm (we haven't even bred since the 80s) by someone who didnt even know us, just because we were in wales.

So yeah - the responsible breeders took the flack for it too

But surely something can be done now to nip it in the bud... so that they don't encourage puppy farming?

xx
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Dear XXX,

I refer to the information I have found on the Irish Agriculture and Food Development Authority website regarding Farm Diversification / Rural Business Start up Opportunities.

I was extremely disappointed to see that one of the methods of creating a supplementary income was to breed pets. Breeding pets is a very demanding role, and should certainly not be referred to as a money-making scheme.

The potential for any profit from breeding pets would almost certainly mean that vast numbers of animals would have to constantly be being produced, therefore depriving the animals of the appropriate level of care and welfare which they deserve.

As a government, I believe you should not be publicising that breeding pets is an appropriate way to diversify a small business or farm.

I am also rather concerned that you mention greyhounds. It is not clear whether you mean breeding greyhounds, or racing greyhounds, but as I understand, Ireland has a significantly large number of problems with greyhounds at the present time, without asking for more to be bred.

I urge to re-consider the items you have included in this list, entitled Farm Diversification / Rural Business Start up Opportunities.

I would very much appreciate a reply to this letter.

Yours sincerely

Enter your name here

That's the template. Hope it's OK? Any modifications.? If you can send this just put your name and who it's to in and send to:

Irish Prime Minister:

Mr Bertie Ahern
Department of the Taoiseach
Government Buildings
Upper Merrion Street
Dublin 2
IRELAND

President of Ireland:

President Mary McAleese
Áras an Uachtaráin,
Phoenix Park,
Dublin 8
Ireland

Irish Agriculture and Food Development Authority:

Irish Agriculture and Food Development Authority
Mr Jim Flanagan, Director
Teagasc
Oak Park
Carlow
IRELAND

Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals :

ISPCA,
National Animal Centre,
Derryglogher Lodge,
Keenagh,
County Longford,
Ireland.

Thanks Basically - what this does is add even more cases like Dudley's to a long list and that makes me mad.

xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Zounds I hope you get a response to your letter, there are many good opportunities for farmers to diversify on the list without breeding Dogs as a cash crop...