Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Cept the difference being her life IS now wasted (the rest of it anyway - she's dead).

Thanks for helping me prove my point
Wow, how incredibly offensive! I think her family would be very offended to hear someone say their Daughter has wasted her life just because she's no longer with us. It may well be over, but I'm sure they don't feel it was a waste
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Cept the difference being her life IS now wasted (the rest of it anyway - she's dead).

Thanks for helping me prove my point
I missed this.........

I think the only point that has been proved here is that you are not immune from making tasteless remarks and causing offence.........
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I didn't mean her entire life was wasted, as it most certainly was not - just the rest of it is that she could have had. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I didn't mean her entire life was wasted, as it most certainly was not - just the rest of it is that she could have had. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
So what you're saying is you typed something that wasn't meant to be offensive, but I have (according to you) incorrectly assumed it was offensive because that was my opinion on the matter?

Interesting, sounds a bit like a thread not a million miles from this one.........
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
So what you're saying is you typed something that wasn't meant to be offensive, but I have (according to you) incorrectly assumed it was offensive because that was my opinion on the matter?

Interesting, sounds a bit like a thread not a million miles from this one.........
No, I'm saying perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Although now that you've said that, it does sound like your post was nothing but a cheap attempt to make a point that was never really there anyway. Reading back it's pretty obvious I meant after the fact as I used the words 'is now' and even specifically said in brackets 'the rest of it anyway' - and didn't say her life was a waste, which is what you're actually accusing me of. Tut tut.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 10:21 PM
No, I'm saying perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Although now that you've said that, it does sound like your post was nothing but a cheap attempt to make a point that was never really there anyway. Reading back it's pretty obvious I meant after the fact as I used the words 'is now' and even specifically said in brackets 'the rest of it anyway' - and didn't say her life was a waste, which is what you're actually accusing me of. Tut tut.
My point was, people can misconstrue things very easily and try to turn something entirely innocent into something offensive when in fact it was anything but. A very valid point to make I think, given this thread.

And you can tut all you like, but it'll make no difference to me. I'm 32 years young and you ain't my Dad!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-07-2011, 10:27 PM
My point was, people can misconstrue things very easily and try to turn something entirely innocent into something offensive when in fact it was anything but. A very valid point to make I think, given this thread.

And you can tut all you like, but it'll make no difference to me. I'm 32 years young and you ain't my Dad!
Then it's not my problem if they don't understand English. My point was clear - you purposely choose to misconstrue it to make a silly (non) point - and yes that is deserving of chastisement, some of us are trying to have a grown up debate here.

Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Then it's not my problem if they don't understand English. My point was clear - you purposely choose to misconstrue it to make a silly point - and yes that is deserving of chastisement, some of us are trying to have a grown up debate here.

Your point was clear to you, just as much as other peoples points are clear to them. That's my point and a very serious one I might add.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Your point was clear to you, just as much as other peoples points are clear to them. That's my point and a very serious one I might add.
No it's not actually. My point would have been clear to anyone who understands English (as I made sure it was clear with what I put in brackets).

You're basically saying we can say whatever we want about anyone so long as we prefix it with "I don't mean this in a nasty way". Such as calling people (who are alive and well) a 'waste'.

Maybe I should start, 'lovingly' of course calling you 'a waste' or 'an idiot', and see how you like it.

Not nice is it? But tbh, I think you know that anyway, you choose to act ignorant - which I find quite saddening really.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 11:01 PM
No it's not actually. My point would have been clear to anyone who understands English (as I made sure it was clear with what I put in brackets).

You're basically saying we can say whatever we want about anyone so long as we prefix it with "I don't mean this in a nasty way". Such as calling people (who are alive and well) a 'waste'.

Maybe I should start, 'lovingly' of course calling you 'a waste' or 'an idiot', and see how you like it.

Not nice is it? But tbh, I think you know that anyway, you choose to act ignorant - which I find quite saddening really.
Please point to where I said that.

Again, my point is just because you find something offensive doesn't actually mean it is, all it can mean is that you've misunderstood/are incapable of understanding/it's your personal opinion.

I find it quite sad that rather than admit I have a valid point, you prefer to try and be personal. That says an awful lot about you Azz imo.

Calling someone a waste can either mean "you're so gorgeous/amazing/sexy/stunning I wish you were straight so I could be with you" (mine and 99% of peoples opinions ime) or "being gay is wasted on you because I'm not gay" (which seems to be your opinion and tbh it's taken me 5 minutes to try and explain it because I'm truly struggling to ascertain how the statement actually was offensive in the first place! ).

So you see my point is - the statement itself is only offensive if that's how you choose to take it. It's personal opinion, the same way some people like me and SB took your Winehouse comment offensively. Just because YOU find something offensive, doesn't actually mean it is or was meant to be.

Being offended isn't such a terrible thing in reality, all it means is you disagree with something and as it's a free country people are entitled to such opinions. I find it very bizarre that people seem to think they should go through life not being offended, cos I'm afraid to say it just ain't gonna happen.
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 >