Our sister sites
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Dog name shame...

lol!

Not really how it sounds.

I have a hybrid scouse/yorkshire accent now, and NOONE understand what I am saying when I say Bodhi (BO - DEE)..

"Boooarrdee??"

"BOooo-Deh??"

"What?!?"

I have actually become quite self concious about it when people ask what she is called (ALL the time!!)..

I also said when I got her, I specifically didn't want a girly name. Now, seeing as everyone calls her a 'he', maybe I should have called her Tinkerbell Trixie Poo or something

I keep trying to think up a non accented, girly nickname for her, with no success... She just tends to get calld Bodhles or Bodhs!!!

Any ideas?! Bo is no good, as again, my accent is on the vowels!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't bother what people thought I was saying - Bodhi knows what you are saying - that's all that matters - and be proud of your accent!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 02:07 PM
don't be self-conscious, I'm sure you sound just fine. People think Loki is Hokey Cokey
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 02:15 PM
i wouldn't worry about it as long as your dog knows you mean her that is all what matters people constantly think diesel is a "he"
if you are really that bothered try calling her boo
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I am proud of my accent - it is certainly unique

I wish it was still more yorkshire - which would be harder to understand!

Bless Bodhi Dog - she couldn't care less what she is called
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2006, 02:20 PM
dont worry about it everyone thinks angel is a she when he is a he lol
know what you mean about accents tho i am original from manchester but live in yorkshire now so my accent is yorkshire ish until i lose my temper then its a mixture lol
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I named my first BC after a gentleman who was quite famous in Orkney history - Kali Kolsson, a Norse Earl of Orkney, who built the Cathedral in Kirkwall. One day, a guy at the airport asked me why he was called Kali, then, when he was told, he said that was "too eddicated" for him. Well, Kali wasn't named for other people - he was named for him, and us. So, IMO, it doesn't matter a **** what anyone else thinks, as long as you like it, and the dog recognises it!

When Kali hears his name, he knows it means him, and that's what matters, not what some dumb baggage-handler thinks.

Call your dog what you please, and be proud of your regional accent - not everyone speaks BBC RP, thank God! The more accents like those of Sean Bean and Kevin Whately I hear, the more I like it! BTW, once you've heard an Orkney accent (I don't have one!), you'll think everyone else speaks pure RP!

Snorri

(PS.- RP = "received pronunciation". Just imagine a BBC newsreader back in the days when they had to wear evening dress!)
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about it

My self consciousness has gone out the window and I run around the park calling Archie Archie-bishop and Ziggy Piggy
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I have an Angel which is a he and everyone calls him a she too.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I have a female Irish Setter called Potter! Everyone thinks she is a boy after Harry Potter! I have even had to get a pink flowery collar and they still think she is male!
Dont worry about it at all! As long as Bodhi responds........be happy!!!! LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >