Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:11 AM

This is killing me

This is a very sad post for me to write but we are having to think seriously about re-homing Ruby, its just not working out with the cats and tonight she caught one in the kitchen and to be honest would've killed it if i hadnt been there, I managed to grab Ruby and get her off and the cat then ran off. I then see a splodge of blood on the wall, then notice Ruby had blood around her mouth, i am now, as you can imagine, beside myself, look for the cat in the garden, nothing, so i'm now running around the street looking for the cat, who i assume is badly injured.

Cant find her, so convince myself shes dead or soon will be!!!!

Anyway, turns out the cat was in Mia's room hiding, perfectly fine and the blood was Ruby's not the cats from a scratch , ok, no major harm done.....THIS TIME!!! but given the chance she WILL kill one of them and its just not fair, they already hide away in Mia's room all the time and to be honest i miss them about the place, chilling with D, we love her dearly and it breaks my heart every time i look at her, as she is such a lovely dog but i cant see it ever getting any better, i just dont know what else to do.

MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:13 AM
aww its a horrible situation to be in *hUgs* i hope something works out soon for you
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Oh no! What a sad situation, has this happened before then ?
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Oh no! What a sad situation, has this happened before then ?
Not to that extent but thats only coz Ruby has never caught any of them, she wants to chase them ALL the time and we have tried EVERYTHING to introduce them but shes just not having it and wants to bite.

On this occasion the dopey cat jumped down off the table, Ruby headed straight for her, cat attempted to jump back on table but missed, ran but got cornered
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:19 AM
I am sorry that it hasn't got any better, i just don't know what to suggest i am afraid
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm sorry for our plight. People with cats often find themselves in this situation.

A friend of mine has just had a similar incident, except one of her dogs took their cat's ear clean off and presented them with it !! The cat disappeared for 3 days then returned and now she has to divide the house, so they can both stay.

It's very sad

Have you approached Ruby's breeder for advice ?
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I'm sorry for our plight. People with cats often find themselves in this situation.

A friend of mine has just had a similar incident, except one of her dogs took their cat's ear clean off and presented them with it !! The cat disappeared for 3 days then returned and now she has to divide the house, so they can both stay.

It's very sad

Have you approached Ruby's breeder for advice ?
We didn't get her direct from her breeder, we took her on from her previous owners when she was 7 months old and NOT used to cats, we hoped in time she would get used to them but if anything its getting worse, Diesel is fine with them because he has grown up with them as we had him from a pup
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:30 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this

All my dogs have a dislike of cats but I used to halve my house so the cats got some respite. Sadly, the cats still made an attempt to come for a cuddle and the dogs used to chase them

I do hope that you find a solution, one way or another
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Aah I see, I didn't know !!

I dont know what to advise. I could say keep trying, but you could be doing that for years.

Is there any way you can separate them permanently, say the cat has the kitchen or something ?

I have no idea to be honest, we have no cats now, and our previos dogs accepted everything and anything as we fostered new cats all the time without a hitch.

Whatever you choose to do, I sympathise with you, it cant be easy on you or Ruby.

I wish you luck
Luna Wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:42 AM
I can really empathise with you on this one. When we got our first Inuit he was awful with the cats and he chased them relentlessly, I was really worried about it. We had 5 cats at the time. This went on for about 6 months and the cats more or less lived upstairs. He did eventually accept that he wasn't allowed to chase and now they will lie on the bed together quite happily.
My heart goes out to you.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »