Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 01:11 PM

All is calm again now

Thought I'd post an update on the latest home news, and it's all good which makes a pleasant change!

The money from the apartment sale arrived safely in Mum's bank account this morning, and I couldn't have transferred it on a better day with the Euro rate, coz she is £4K better off than transferring it last week when I put it in the Spanish bank! She's investing it all next week in a high interest account and will have 6 times more to live on each month than she did in Mallorca, so she won't know herself, especially with no bills or outgoings to pay out living here with us.

We got a lovely new widescreen plasma tv for her bedroom yesterday, and a pair of wireless headphones so she can fall asleep in bed with the tv blaring and we won't be able to hear a thing! Brilliant idea of mine, coz she was keeping us awake in there at night with that blooming t.v! I got a good deal with that too, coz the Sky man is coming next Friday to install a new Sky+ box, with multi-channel boxes in 2 other rooms, and all for free!!! Comet's are doing a special at the moment when you buy a new tv, so they just rang up and organised it all for me - brilliant! At the moment Mum and I have to suffer Discovery Home & Leisure everytime we put the sky channel on in another room coz Dave is a fanatic about d.i.y. It's either drilling or cars, so we don't bother! I also got her a gorgeous big soft black leather reclining chair for the lounge, so she can sit in comfort with her legs up and watch tv in the evengs with us in comfort, and that was a good bargain I found too, coz they had sold the sofa that went with it, so I got it half price and delivered in 2 days!! She is being well looked after I can tell you, and she's sooo happy I couldn't begin to tell you what a difference this has all made to her health and wellbeing.She must have been so lonely living on her own all those years in Mallorca, struggling to get out on the bus every day, at 82, to do her shopping in all that heat too, I really don't know how she managed. Anyway, all that's over with now, she can enjoy the rest of her life being taken care of by yours truly and I think she's loving every minute of it, just like those dogs of mine do.

Just had the architect round this morning about extending our bungalow, and although there's going to be a bit of a mess in the hallway to extend it into a front room, it will be well worth it in the end and far cheaper than us moving, so we'll end up with 2 further rooms upstairs for me and Dave with a bathroom, and Mum will have her own lounge downstairs with french doors onto a patio for the summer, and the bedroom she's already taken over with an en-suite - perfect!

I think we might have to move out for a month into rented accommodation whilst they get on with all this, coz I really don't think I can take anymore of builders and the mess they make, I've had that for the past 5 years and we thought we'd finished when Mum landed on our doorstep! Either that, or Dave can stay here and look after the doglets, whilst Mum and I go back to Mallorca and stay in that nice little 5-star number I stayed in last week and leave them to get on with it! Hmmmm, that's seems like a good idea.

Life feels very strange at the moment after 3 months of tearing around, making phone calls, sending e-mails day in day out to get the apartment sale all sewn up, and now that it's all over, I really don't know what to do with myself. I thought maybe some Christmas shopping might be next on the agenda, but the architect just rang and made an appointment to come and measure up next Tuesday morning, so it's looking very likely that I have yet another project in hand! Let's hope I pick the right building firm to do the work though, coz I don't think I could handle anymore stress after the last 4 months, but I'm over all that now, it's all fallen into place, and sooooo smoothly too, quite unbelievable really, it was meant to be!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Blimey you'll wear yourself out at this rate. Glad to hear things are finally settling down.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 02:53 PM
you'll collapse in a heap if you stop!!!!!
Glad things are calming down for you and that your mum is so happy!!!
You sound happy too!! Which is good!!!
Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Glad things are falling into shape for you and for your mum. The five star hotel sounds nice can I stowaway in your suitcase lol. Seriously though glad to hear your mum is happy it will be a load off your mind having her where you can keep an eye on her.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 04:35 PM
thanks guys it's a big weight off my mind now that it's all over, but like you say Ailsa, I do need something to keep me going, so the house project will be good for me and plus it's something to look forward to isn't it, as well as Christmas of course!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 04:39 PM
That all sounds lovely Helen! It must be a relief to have it all sorted. And your mum being so happy, that must be wonderful too.
Now you can relax!!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 05:13 PM
So glad it's all gone smoothly Helen and your mum is settled with you. Must be a big weight off your mind. Good to see you back here too xx
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Glad it's settling down now H.... but don't forget to get plenty of rest or you'll burn yourself out!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Must be a great relief hon xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Relief is putting it mildly! Thanks Suzie, Azz, Jackie and Vicki a long lie down is definitely in order, and maybe a serious pampering at the beauty parlour coz I think I've aged another 10 years - pity I can't afford plastic surgery, that might be my answer! I've still got £100 quids's worth of vouchers hubby bought me for my Birthday back in September which I haven't even had time to use yet, so I'm off to the beauticians next week!