Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 09:45 AM

Cruelty - which organisation?

Which organisation is the best one to support? I have been supporting PETE & HUMANE SOCIETY INTERNATIONAL.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-10-2013, 10:06 AM
I would support The Oldies Club but I am already supporting an organisation that is researching canine epilepsy.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I tend to support smaller charities they give a larger proportion of the money donated to the dogs actually to the dogs.

No idea who PETE are ?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Do you mean PETA ??? They are NOT an animal welfare organisation as they kill 1,000s of animals handed over to them for rehoming each year, as well as believing no animal should be a"slave"to man & that all animals should live in the wild & fend for themselves(including dogs, cats etc) They are a set of terrorists who will stop at nothing to support their cause.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-10-2013, 11:35 AM
You beat me to it only I was going to post this - PETA
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh them, they don't believe in anyone owning animals as pets so would do away with all of our dogs for a start, not an organisation I could support in any shape or form.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Same goes for the humane society, greenpeace, rspca, dogs trust, wwf, wspa.. etc.

They will always find something about a charity that is a hypocrisy. All charities have to do things that go against their ethics. The fact that PETA wants all animals to be free is perhaps one extremist view of them and not the main focus. I don't know why people always pick up on this when PETA actually mostly promotes an end to cruelty to all animals. Can't see what's wrong with that.
I wouldn't know whether the accusations in that link are true or not, and if they are, I can't clearly know the motivations behind it.
I'm not saying PETA are saints, but I'm sick of hearing these arguments. We can't know how those dogs were, whether they were actually adoptable. And I don't mean just that they were healthy and didn't show aggression towards humans, that's usually what makes them adoptable. I mean was it realisticly possible to find individuals willing and able to adopt these dogs? If not, would they not be better off being put to sleep instead of serving a lifetime in a metal box in a shelter? I wonder how many people who are against PETA and the RSPCA actually have adopted rescue dogs and cats, and how many got puppies either from breededs, backyard breeders or people who simply wanted to have a litter (I'm not accusing anyone by the way, just a thought of mine).

Anyway.. I'm not supporting anyone at the moment but when the time comes I will be looking at adopting a dog again from a shelter and I will consider RSPCA shelters, and that's also a way to support them.
But I'm sure someone here will come along again and tell me how awful the RSPCA are with their animals and how we should boycott them.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2013, 12:36 PM
We have supported the Born Free Foundation for years and up until recently adopted Freddie the pointer from Dogs Trust, we switched over to a monthly donation to WSPA, but im really disappointed in them because they haven't spoken out against the badger cull, so im going to kick them into touch if they don't satisfy my questions on the matter. Then we'll either donate to Animals Asia, Care for the Wild, Sea Shepherd or LACS. All do fantastic jobs saving wildlife.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Do you mean PETA ??? They are NOT an animal welfare organisation as they kill 1,000s of animals handed over to them for rehoming each year, as well as believing no animal should be a"slave"to man & that all animals should live in the wild & fend for themselves(including dogs, cats etc) They are a set of terrorists who will stop at nothing to support their cause.
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Same goes for the humane society, greenpeace, rspca, dogs trust, wwf, wspa.. etc.

They will always find something about a charity that is a hypocrisy. All charities have to do things that go against their ethics. The fact that PETA wants all animals to be free is perhaps one extremist view of them and not the main focus. I don't know why people always pick up on this when PETA actually mostly promotes an end to cruelty to all animals. Can't see what's wrong with that.
I wouldn't know whether the accusations in that link are true or not, and if they are, I can't clearly know the motivations behind it.
I'm not saying PETA are saints, but I'm sick of hearing these arguments. We can't know how those dogs were, whether they were actually adoptable. And I don't mean just that they were healthy and didn't show aggression towards humans, that's usually what makes them adoptable. I mean was it realisticly possible to find individuals willing and able to adopt these dogs? If not, would they not be better off being put to sleep instead of serving a lifetime in a metal box in a shelter? I wonder how many people who are against PETA and the RSPCA actually have adopted rescue dogs and cats, and how many got puppies either from breededs, backyard breeders or people who simply wanted to have a litter (I'm not accusing anyone by the way, just a thought of mine).

Anyway.. I'm not supporting anyone at the moment but when the time comes I will be looking at adopting a dog again from a shelter and I will consider RSPCA shelters, and that's also a way to support them.
But I'm sure someone here will come along again and tell me how awful the RSPCA are with their animals and how we should boycott them.
I saw this the other day >> http://features.peta.org/petasaves/

Like open-admission animal shelters across the country, PETA performs the heartbreaking task of euthanizing animals who are unwanted for one reason or another: because they are aggressive, sick, hurt, elderly, or at death's door and because no good homes exist for them. Front groups for animal-exploiting industries seize on this aspect of our work to further their agenda, attempt to divide our movement, and protect their profits.

One of these groups is the disingenuously named Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), which is run by lobbyist Richard Berman and is funded by KFC, Outback Steakhouse, Philip Morris, cattle ranchers, and other companies who cruelly kill millions of healthy animals every year—and who bring them into this world just to kill them. The CCF devotes considerable manpower, time, and money in an attempt to make people who care about animals believe false and misleading information about PETA's work
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
We have supported the Born Free Foundation for years and up until recently adopted Freddie the pointer from Dogs Trust, we switched over to a monthly donation to WSPA, but im really disappointed in them because they haven't spoken out against the badger cull, so im going to kick them into touch if they don't satisfy my questions on the matter. Then we'll either donate to Animals Asia, Care for the Wild, Sea Shepherd or LACS. All do fantastic jobs saving wildlife.
I do like Sea Shepherd, for a while I was considering applying to volunteer on one of their ships! I think they're doing a great job.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I support the oldies too.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >