View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Daniellew
Dogsey Junior

10-10-2006, 09:53 AM

dog sitting.

i am thinking about looking after peoples dog/s whilst they are either at work or away for the night or a few days ect ect. i have two of my own dogs, i dont know how much i would charge but they would have to bring their dog/s to me as i do not drive. Their dog/s would obviously have to get on with my two. anyone got any tips, hints or advice?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:12 AM
yes i do!

I do this myself...

check with your local authority that you don't need a license as some councils realise that home boarding comes under the 'boarding of dogs act 1961'

£10 per night, and discounts for returning clients and longer stays.

Meet the people and dogs with your own on neutral ground before they come to stay.

Have a free nights trial if you are having a longer stay (2 weeks say) If you get a whiner or a barker, you might need to say no, if you have taken him for the couple of weeks, you are stuck!

Give a neighbour a key for emergencies if you are leaving them for any length of time...

Speak to your local vet about isolation facilities if a dog becomes ill under your care

Could go on forever, there is lots to think about!!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Have no real experience of this as I have only ever looked after dogs for close friends but I would have thought that you would need to have some sort of insurance.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Where abouts are you Danielle?

I live in Sheffield and there are 2 companies that provide this service. (They both seem very busy so its a service thats very popular!)

I took Gadget to be looked after overnight once, and he loved it! They charged £15/day or £10/half day. They have a dog of their own so we went round earlier that week for the dogs to meet to check they got on OK and to fill out forms etc.

They walked him 3 times for an hour each walk and he was welcome to sleep wherever he liked in the house, but he chose to sleep in his bed in the kitchen.

If I can think of any other details that might be helpful I will post them.

Good luck xx
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Here is a website of one of the companies in Sheffield. They are NOT the company I used so I can't give a personal recommendation - just thought it might be of interest.

http://www.pet-walkiz.co.uk/index.htm
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 09:52 AM
totally forgot about insurance!
The one I use is fairly cheap for the year, and it is specifically for walking, transporting and boarding dogs. Called Cliverton insurance.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 10:25 AM
the average around here is £12 per day and £15 for 2 thats fully insured and groomed and walked daily

i have thought about doing it am home all day etc....but dunno its hard work having visitors and routine goes all to pot