Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
I have to agree also

I feel sorry for the poor dogs, what about their street cred?

Awwww don`t, my Defa got giggled at today at the vets, his street cred is being stomped on at the moment
He has developed itchy pits [ front legs ], which he started licking at, so I put a liberal dousing on Aloe spray on the area concerned, [ a soother, ideal for this sort of thing ], and put a t-shirt on him. It did the job perfectly as it stopped him licking and making himself more sore.
I took him to the vet this morning to get it checked out as I could`nt pinpoint the cause, [ pointless just treating the symptoms without trying to find the cause of it ].

A few people in the waiting room either giggled, or rolled their eyes thinking it was a silly fashion thing, but they did button it when I explained why he was wearing it.
At that point they all then said it suited him at least - but still sniggered at my poor boy the rotters :smt005

He had a long acting jab to stop the itchiness, some anti-biotics in case it was an underlying infection, [ vet could`nt see an obvious cause either though I suspect it was some joint supplement in treat form which I started giving him a week ago and have had time to get in his system properly so those are banned for now ], plus he has some Fuciderm as a soother and the vet did say keep him in a t-shirt for a few days, [ not the same one every day obviously ], because its much better than stressing him with a cone, as he does`nt try to lick through the t-shirt so its the most comfortable option for him.

So yes he got sniggered at, and anyone who see`s him for the next few days will probably think he`s a fashion victim with a ditsy owner, but it really is for medical use only !
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
I have ordered Wills a waterproff whippet coat for the winter. Even just going out in the rain to the back yard she can be reluctant, so she is going to need it by the looks of things!

I think coats are a great idea if used correctly. Boots can be necessary for medical reasons, but not just "because".

I see no problem with t-shirts on dogs for fun if the dog doesn't mind wearing it and it's not getting too hot, What's the harm?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Mine have dog coats that look like horse rugs, for standing around in the wind and rain at shows when they could get cold by not moving about. Deccy always feels the need to roll in his - just like a horse - and it usually stays on.
Most dogs can deal with wet and cold as long as they are not getting on a bit, and they can keep moving, but for hanging around and the older dog they are beneficial I think.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Mine have functional coats but it mainly the oldies that wear them. Nova really feels the cold now and I worry that she gets a chill. Tally has never needed her coat yet, the weather hasn't been bad enough. I certainly would never put anything ridiculous on my dogs - I would be so embarrassed.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Couldn't agree more... want a dressing up thing... buy a doll
Yup I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon and say no gloves, scarfs, hats, booties etc here either.

Once saw a young Lab with a coat on last winter...........err hello Labs have waterproof coats!

The only time I'd buy anything clothing wise is for health reasons eg boots for sled dogs or coats for elderly dogs.

Am now thinking of getting Pickles a little coat for the winter - at the ripe old age of 14!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:05 PM
no coats boots or any of kind of clothing for the boys they do not like anything put on them and they are used to being out in all kinds of weather
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the great responses, and pictures too!

I think I'll see how the winter goes, she's not a big dog and does look a bit like a drowned rat when she's wet but maybe it's something we'll have to consider. Although I think my OH might refuse to be seen out with a dog in a coat, his family had big hairy German Shepherds which didn't need them.

J
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 10:29 AM
awww, you meanies.

I hate the little paris hiltons of the world too, but most of them can't afford a chihauha, thank goodness!!!

I have little t-shirts for prinz, a red one with a shark, and a green one with 'rock dog' and a skull and cross bones. It makes him look adorable!! (he is a tough nut, so i feel it's good to bring him down a peg or too street-cred wise, you ought to see that walk!)

My nearest equestrian store* had little weathabeetas for dogs, lined and waterproof and they wear them in the rain and snow. Absolute must, dogs do feel the cold, my little prinz shivers in the cold.

They all have bandanas too, and akela has a sparkly diamonte collar and she used to have a large diamonte 'A' which cost me a fortune and she lost it in the woods !!

Prinz had bootes while he had problems with his feet (cleared up with better feeding incidentally!!!) but he hated them.
So I have shoeless, but well dressed dogs!

*horse places have lots of useful stuff for dogs, including brushes and garlic supplements!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Jess, how about some pictures?

J
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 10:47 AM
ok ok, i will get on it! I will have to include the new flashy collars I got for them recently too!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3