View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:11 PM
personally, when I am at home, my back door is open so that air can circulate, and the dogs can amble in and out as they please. so I wouldnt be able to supervise what they were doing. Obv, I check on them occasionally.

I just do a poo pick/check 2-3 times a day, and give the patio a good scrub daily
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:13 PM
My 2 would shred any moggy they got hold of in our garden. My neighbours have 3 and they do taunt the dogs by pulling faces at them through the hedge

When I spotted the newest recruit pottering around our garden I did have a word with my neighbour to say I was worried in case I forgot to check if the cat was there before I let my dogs out and they got her. She said not to worry as the cat was very quick and could move in time.

I agree with SB, I don't think it is my responsibility to keep other people's cats out of my garden.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
personally, when I am at home, my back door is open so that air can circulate, and the dogs can amble in and out as they please. so I wouldnt be able to supervise what they were doing. Obv, I check on them occasionally.

I just do a poo pick/check 2-3 times a day, and give the patio a good scrub daily
We were the same when we had a garden. Door was open and Rupert able to go in and out. On a long line in Ireland, loose in Manchester where we had high fencing. He was checked on but not supervised at all times. It's the same here really although we only have a balcony.

Cats aren't allowed to roam here. Was reading through the rules and they must not be loose in the communal areas. Wondered why I'd only seen 2 in the time I'd been here.
Sassysarah
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks to all my brother always checks before letting him out he just leves the door open when home so the dog can come in and out as he wishes and checks on him if he's out of site for longer then 20 min as his dogs loves being near him but also like other animals they like there own space too I agree think the cats might have special needs u would of thought they wouldn't go near lol he has a normal 6ft fence he might after put something on the tops to stop them. He has been very worried when he did it the once. When he's out and about and off the lead in a field if he sees a cat he's not botherd just his own garden.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
My secret may be that my patio doors are open 24/7 when I am at home (unless it is freezing) so perhaps the cats know that the garden is "patrolled"day and night?

I am certainly NOT going to check for intruders when I let my dogs into the garden, nor am I going to "supervise" them!

Good grief, I only do THAT when they are weeny puppies.

It is not like I have a VAST estate anyway.

I have enough to do without "policing" my own property.

After all, why buy a dog and bark yourself?

That is what THEY are there for, to police my property.

Cats are off limits outside the house, but if they decide to drop in, they may have "drop out" as it were!

(I do not condone dogs killing cats, nor do I get some vicarious pleasure from the possibility, but what goes on in MY house and MY garden with MY dogs is MY decision.

If cat owners want to protect their cats from being mauled, killed, poisoned or run over, then TBH keep them in doors or mesh the garden out which is what some do.
Sassysarah
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:31 PM
My thoughts exactly !
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
My secret may be that my patio doors are open 24/7 when I am at home (unless it is freezing) so perhaps the cats know that the garden is "patrolled"day and night?

I am certainly NOT going to check for intruders when I let my dogs into the garden, nor am I going to "supervise" them!

Good grief, I only do THAT when they are weeny puppies.

It is not like I have a VAST estate anyway.

I have enough to do without "policing" my own property.

After all, why buy a dog and bark yourself?

That is what THEY are there for, to police my property.

Cats are off limits outside the house, but if they decide to drop in, they may have "drop out" as it were!

(I do not condone dogs killing cats, nor do I get some vicarious pleasure from the possibility, but what goes on in MY house and MY garden with MY dogs is MY decision.

If cat owners want to protect their cats from being mauled, killed, poisoned or run over, then TBH keep them in doors or mesh the garden out which is what some do.
Could not agree more!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I've never had a problem with cats in the garden. When I bought the house with my ex, the garden was covered in cat poo so they obviously frequented it. Soon as I had dogs they never visited again, same thing has happened now i'm back at my parents.

I never think to check the garden for cats, I shouldnt have to IMO.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Sorry, I'm jumping in here a bit without being much help to the OP but my dog is always supervised when he is out in the garden. I have the door closed as I keep my cats in, hopefully after some home improvements this will change. For now though he is left unsupervised for about 5 mins without me going to a window, the door etc.

This is due to me (unfortunately) having to experience just how bad PEOPLE can be to animals. (and they do not have to physically touch an animal to hurt it either)

There are times when I wonder if that really isnt too healthy and I should allow him to be out there without me more, but then I remember and worry...

The thing is nobody is coming in without me knowing about it and he isnt very trusting of food from strangers but I still worry!
Sassysarah
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Sound like u had some bad experience with bad people!,
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »