View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2011, 12:25 PM

What do you think of these plans for running a Dog trainin Club?

Someone i know has these plans for their club:

1. When someone wants to join, just have a quick chat on the phone, just take their phone number.
They dont need to complete any paperwork - owner address, dog history and temperament etc - until the first class.

2. The hall only has one door leading to a foyer leading to the hall. So the dogs leaving can go thru the foyer and the doorway at the same time as the dogs arriving for the next class.

3. As the insurance only covers inside the hall, the 2 trainers have decided to remain inside the hall only, so will leave the dogs and owners to take care of themseves out in the foyer, doorway and car park.

4. And because the car park for the hall doesnt come under their club insurance, they do not need to set any guidelines for dogs or owners whilst using it. Again, this is down to owners.

5. Dog aggressive or other aggressive dogs are welcome in class.

What do you think?
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I wouldnt be in a hurry to join.

My biggest thing about those rules would be the last one - dog aggressive dogs in class....In an enclosed space it would just be far too stressful for that dog unless they were perhaps pre assessed and had been going through separate training too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Someone i know has these plans for their club:

1. When someone wants to join, just have a quick chat on the phone, just take their phone number.
They dont need to complete any paperwork - owner address, dog history and temperament etc - until the first class.

In a perfect world I would want to actually see the person and dog on their own BEFORE they came to club. The gap between perception and reality can be huge...........

2. The hall only has one door leading to a foyer leading to the hall. So the dogs leaving can go thru the foyer and the doorway at the same time as the dogs arriving for the next class.

TBF it can be very difficult to obtain the "perfect" venue, but this can be managed with rules re entering and leaving ie bells, "traffic lights" etc.

3. As the insurance only covers inside the hall, the 2 trainers have decided to remain inside the hall only, so will leave the dogs and owners to take care of themseves out in the foyer, doorway and car park.

A public place is a public place, I would not expect the insurance to cover the car park necessarily, any more than insurance covers the car parks at events etc. A lot depends on what sort of insurance they have. I do not necessarily have an issue with this however I find it odd as this is not the case on MY insurance policy or that of several clubs I belong to, one of which I am on the committe of

4. And because the car park for the hall doesnt come under their club insurance, they do not need to set any guidelines for dogs or owners whilst using it. Again, this is down to owners.

The two are not mutually exclusive, whether the trainers make rules or not is down to them as individuals, whether or not insurance is in play.

5. Dog aggressive or other aggressive dogs are welcome in class.

No, that is not acceptable ESPECIALLY when the dogs have not been assessed prior to coming to class.
What do you think?

The first thing that strikes me as very peculiar is the insurance situation.

As someone who has to deal with ELI, Public, Motor, etc insurance very regularly I cannot understand why these arrangements are so, all the insurance policies I have seen cover the training environment and "environs and approaches"
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The first thing that strikes me as very peculiar is the insurance situation.

As someone who has to deal with ELI, Public, Motor, etc insurance very regularly I cannot understand why these arrangements are so, all the insurance policies I have seen cover the training environment and "environs and approaches"
Hello SB.
they tell me they have read their documents, and the car park isnt covered.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
I wouldnt be in a hurry to join.

My biggest thing about those rules would be the last one - dog aggressive dogs in class....In an enclosed space it would just be far too stressful for that dog unless they were perhaps pre assessed and had been going through separate training too.
what are the risks re an aggressive dog that you feel would be the case for this club and its plans?
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Sorry m'dear not sure I understand your question 100%?

I personally wouldnt want to be in with a class that had DA dogs (or other aggressive) actively participating. I could understand if they were perhaps attending a session as part of a "rehab" type of training with them...but being in close quarters I dont think would be okay for the dog itself or the other dogs in the class. It personally would put me off. Whilst also having one door doesnt actually put me off, knowing that possibly seriously aggressive dogs were also trying to get through that door at the same time into a foyer would worry me.

My local training class we did as a puppy only had the one double door from a foyer - as it was a village hall, but it was quite a large space and DA dogs weren't around at class times.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hello SB.
they tell me they have read their documents, and the car park isnt covered.
Hmm does not explain the foyer though.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
Sorry m'dear not sure I understand your question 100%?

I personally wouldnt want to be in with a class that had DA dogs (or other aggressive) actively participating. I could understand if they were perhaps attending a session as part of a "rehab" type of training with them...but being in close quarters I dont think would be okay for the dog itself or the other dogs in the class. It personally would put me off. Whilst also having one door doesnt actually put me off, knowing that possibly seriously aggressive dogs were also trying to get through that door at the same time into a foyer would worry me.

My local training class we did as a puppy only had the one double door from a foyer - as it was a village hall, but it was quite a large space and DA dogs weren't around at class times.
you understood well, you just answered
would you extend your logic to the car park?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hmm does not explain the foyer though.
Good point
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I would have thought only have one point of entry would be in breach of fire escape regulations?
Becky
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »