Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 08:52 PM

What a predicament

I can hardly believe my ears, Clive told me yesterday that he is happy for me to have another dog if I want one

I haven't badgered him or anything, I think he sees how much pleasure Henry brings me and, even Clive will admit, he has fallen for Henry and the breed big time

My predicament is that, for the moment, I am more than happy to have just the one dog. I can walk Henry but at times it is difficult and I know I wouldn't manage two large dogs with my legs as they are at the moment, (and it would have to be another setter ) But then I wonder if I'm depriving Hen of a playmate, although I do think he rather enjoys being the centre of our world, having spent his first 13 months being part of a large kennels.

Had we been still going ahead with the move then I would have probably jumped at the opportunity, we were looking for something with land so I wouldn't necessarily have to walk the dogs, they would have a paddock to play in, much like the old days.

I feel a bit torn, part of me would love another little bundle as I've always had more than one dog at a time until the last couple of years, but my sensible head keeps telling me the timing isn't right yet. I worry that, if I leave it for another couple of years then Henry would find it more difficult to have to share his mum and dad with another.

Just wondered what you guys would do.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Go with your Gut.....no rush, you never know, it might turn up when you least expect it
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Go with your Gut.....no rush, you never know, it might turn up when you least expect it
That's true...I've been offered dogs out of the blue previously and never regretted taking them...I suppose at least now I know that Clive would be likely to agree. Apart from my health my main worry is Henry, he is such a happy lad that I want him to have fun with a playmate but don't want him to feel jealous..I think I worry about him more than I do about me being able to cope
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Only you know how much you are able to comfortably take on at the moment, and perhaps if you are able to block those images of a gorgeous bundle of fluffy fun (oh heck, I am going all broody now ) and for the moment just concentrate on the work that will be involved, and perhaps the difficulties of an extra dog. If after doing that, and being honest with yourself, you think that you could cope........then whoopeeeeeeeeee time

Regarding Henry, unfortunately you won't know how he will react to a permanent friend until it actually happens.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Only you know how much you are able to comfortably take on at the moment, and perhaps if you are able to block those images of a gorgeous bundle of fluffy fun (oh heck, I am going all broody now ) and for the moment just concentrate on the work that will be involved, and perhaps the difficulties of an extra dog. If after doing that, and being honest with yourself, you think that you could cope........then whoopeeeeeeeeee time

Regarding Henry, unfortunately you won't know how he will react to a permanent friend until it actually happens.
Yes, I also keep thinking of the little fluffy bundle, (English Setter pups are such chocolate box babies), although I would happily take on something a bit older again.

I have no doubts at all that I could cope with the grooming and general husbandry, after having 14 setters/pointers at once, only a few years back, I'm quite confident in that respect, and we are ok financially to have another.

My main stumbling block, (excuse the pun ) are my knees, they are so bad at times that I find it hard to walk Hen, although we always have our 4-5 tmes a day, mile long walks, just we go a bit slower sometimes and I lose balance if he pulls, so having two going in possibly different directions could be quite awkward. Of course, on the times Clive can come then it would be a doddle, but he only comes about 30% of the time because of work.

I would offer to foster to see how Hen copes, but then I wouldn't want to let it go if he loved having it around.
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I'd wait until you really want or fall for another dog- as said, there's no rush! It is very easy to worry about how your current dog will react, but if he's lived around other dogs before and generally enjoys their company, i think if introduced properly he would be fine once he got used to it? He'll still get his love and attention from you, but will have a same-species companion if you're busy or out.

Congratulations on the 'go ahead' though, anyway
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by NCA1 View Post
I'd wait until you really want or fall for another dog- as said, there's no rush! It is very easy to worry about how your current dog will react, but if he's lived around other dogs before and generally enjoys their company, i think if introduced properly he would be fine once he got used to it? He'll still get his love and attention from you, but will have a same-species companion if you're busy or out.

Congratulations on the 'go ahead' though, anyway
Thanks very much...another sensible reply

I think I know deep down what I need to do, and I flatly refused Clives offer yesterday, but it has been playing on my mind today
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Hiya I'd probably wait in all honesty. Youo could dash into getting another one, then an opportunity could come long where you could think ..oh I wish I'd waited (if tht makes sense?)
Im a believer in fate, bide your time, go with your instinct & you will instantly know when the time is right
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Perhaps I shouldn't reply as everyone is so sensible and I would have trawled through the internet by now and know every single pup and dog available or be setting myself up to become a failed fosterer.
So I will just say good luck whatever you decide. xx
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Many tears ...cough cough ..setter mix pups cough cough..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >