View Poll Results: Entire Males
Entire with No problems at all 49 77.78%
Entire but wanders/scent marks in house/humps 2 3.17%
Entire but developed related health issues 4 6.35%
Entire but aggressive 1 1.59%
Neutered but still humps etc 8 12.70%
Neutered but still developed health issues 0 0%
Neutered but still aggressive 3 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I'm quite surprised so many dogs had behavioural problems that instantly disappeared after castration. They cannot really have been solely hormonal as Testosterone/progesterone/oestrogen do not instantly disappear from the dog's body on the removal of the testes ! Just as spaying a bitch doesn't remove all the bitch's sex hormones instantly.

This isn't my opinion it is a biological fact
I'd have said that as well but a friend adopted an entire Lhasa who had been used as a stud dog. He was after anything that moved and a week after being castrated he was a totally different dog---wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Pippin changed gradually but with no behaviour modification programme as we don't really 'train' him as such and at the time couldn't get near him.

Another bitch I knew who did agility changed more or less overnight after being spayed---suddenly she was focused. Most odd.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Isn't it likely to be the placebo effect on the owner.

Adam
I doubt that will stop a dog grabbing and humping anything that moves---Etta was everso grateful when Max the Lhasa was done!

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Isn't it likely to be the placebo effect on the owner.

Adam
I do think it would be interesting to have an impartial factual report, as opposed to anecdotal reports from owners.

I certainly didn't see any "instant"change of behaviour in my neutered male, in fact his behaviour never changed at all !

Now in my spayed bitches one very nervous rescue eventually after being here for three or so years did become more outgoing & stable in temperament, she was spayed within months of me finding her, was that because she was spayed or simply because she was secure & had learnt to trust people ???
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Both my male dogs are 'entire' and so was the one before that.

I'm not aware of them having any issues because of it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:22 PM
i only have one castrated dog..due to health issues,the rest are entire.

my bitches are all spayed once mature.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:34 PM
There wasnt an option for me so I didnt vote!

Both my males were neutered under a year old, i've had no experience with entire male dogs, never owned any (always had bitches as family dogs).

Jed still acts entire though, he will dominance hump, he's quite cocky with other dogs and he sniffs and scent marks to the point of irritation (not in the house though).

I would wait until the dog was older next time and make an assessment of his behaviour before I neutered as a matter of course. But my general opinion is that it just makes them more docile and a bit more focused on the task at hand.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Following on from something mentioned in another thread I was wondering about peoples experience with entire males.

It seems to me that a lot of 'new' owners think they must have their boys neutered to prevent straying. humping, scent marking and aggression.

We have always had entire males and have always had at least 2 and at one point 4 living together. Never once have any of my boys wandered or scent marked or any of the usual things associated with keeping them entire.

Also all my dogs have lived to ripe old ages with not a hint of cancer or any other scaremongering get them neutered type illnesses.

So are all the reasons to have dogs neutered just myths or have I just had dogs that are the exceptions to the rules?

What is your main reason for having your dog neutered, if it has been?
oooops think that might be my thread. but glad i did or the vet who we trusted and had no qarms about was wrong to advise us due to keeping puppy number's down. but after getting top advice from member's on dogsey the nads (lol) are staying unless he gets health problems like cancer etc. thankyou to all who advised me.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I have two males of my own - one entire (no problems at all) and one neutered (who was neutered due to testosterone fuelled aggression towards the other males).

Hubby keeps entire males, and some are fine, whereas others are a bit testy around other entire males.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I picked entire with no problems, but I'm not sure if any fit my situation really?!

Oscar is entire and certainly isn't dominant, rarely scent marks even outdoors and only humps Isla when she gets him excited.

That said he is very nervous and I often wonder if being entire is part of the cause? I'm going to have the supelorin (sp) implant put in him though, so it will be interesting to see if there is any change in his behaviour!

Other than that his behaviour is fine. Rossi, my parents intact male Springer, started attacking Oscar recently, but with some boundaries and discipline in place it appears to have resolved completely!
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:31 PM
My dog is entire, 5 years old and is a perfect gentlemen. Never had a reason to neuter him and after further research i've found that the pros to keeping him entire far outweigh the cons. He has never humped, mixes well with all dogs, has never marked in the home or anyone else's home. He does mark quite a bit outside but i don't find that's a problem. Had my bitch spayed at 3 years old, but only because she was suffering more intense phantom pregnancies after each heat. My dog was 9 months old when she had her last season and i didn't find it particularly hard to keep them separated. When together my bitch wore some Mikki pants, she was a total hussy

I don't plan to have any of my males neutered in the future and if i own bitches i will base my decision based on circumstances at the time.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »