View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2010, 08:13 PM
I have tried Halti, Canny Collar and now a Gentle Leader. Each has good and bad points but the most important aspect is to get something that fits exactly. If the fitting of any of these collars isn't perfect then it will cause the problems that have already been mentioned. A properly fitting Halti, for example, does not ride up into the dogs eyes. That is not to say that people who have this problem are fitting it wrong, its just that Halti may not make a size that suits that individual dogs unique dimensions. Gentle Leaders have a broader range of fit than Halti's, if in doubt go bigger and they are easy to trim down.

I also found that with the Canny Collar you have to maintain a little tension in the lead to keep it in place, which is the direct opposite of what I was trying to achieve with the accompanying training, so that one got shelved. Now I only use the gentle leader when I know we are going to be somewhere busy, because I know that lots of noise and crowds of people make my dog nervous.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 06:57 PM
agh! so much choice!

Tried a halti on in the shop today. He had it off in seconds and when it was tightened more it was in his eyes. I also saw a dog wearing a canny collar and I'm not convinced the design would suit Toby. We'll try and find a shop with a bigger range that we can try.

Can anyone with a small springer sized spaniel tell me which size halter (of any variety) they use?
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2010, 07:14 PM
As well as ensuring a good fit it is also important to introduce and aclimatise (sp) a head collar properly to your dog. As with anything else you need to take the time to create a positive association and get the dog used to wearing it before relying on it out in the real world. A great many dogs object to having something over their noses and often go bananas trying to get it off, which is why many people give up trying to use a head collar because it appears to annoy the dog so much.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I thought they'd all be pretty similar but have to say that many dog owners end up trying them all before finding the 'right' one - me included

Halti - utterly useless. Very uncomfortable for Dexter and it came flying off the second he lunged for a cat.

GL - utterly hopeless. The slipline kept ending up over Dex's eyes. Offered no control.

Canny Collar - wonderful! My dog is 30kg of fast, nervous energy and he pulls, leaps and lunges like you wouldn't believe. Although we have weekly training, I've had to return to the Canny Collar recently after he lunged at a horse and actually ripped the lead out my hands...

The Canny Collar does not, however, totally stop the pulling - but if you have a dog that lunges, it's well worth a try.

I've also come across the K9 Bridle, and GenCon.

I've heard good reports about the Walkezee Harness - anyone use one...?
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Have just tried a canny collar and hate it, me not the dogs unusually , think it might be because the halti I usually use, which has been chewed beyond recognition, pulls down and walking Griffin atm is a little like walking a small springbok so I can control the springing and the pulling in one go, whilst Chester has started lunging recently, inconsistency with his walkers I think, and the canny collar seems really bad for this. I'm just going to order a new halti I think, and put it up HIGH!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I still haven't made a decision! I was wondering about getting a cheap one like the easy leader of something, just to see if he will tolerate wearing it?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:28 AM
WALLAROO - unfortunately it really is trial and error. Most dogs will protest when you first try putting a headcollar on. But you just have to distract them and get them walking and then usually they forget they even have it on. Unless it's really uncomfortable and you'll know as you'll see them rubbing at their faces after wearing it.

I have been using the Canny Collar but now have to switch as Dexter has worked out how to lean into it and pull.

But it's still a good design, I think and certainly has helped me for the past six months, on and off.

I've heard really good things about the Dogmatic - but the leather ones seem very rigid until they ease up, going by a friend's, so might want to take that into consideration.

Have you ever tried a harness? I've heard the Walkezee is really good and I've just got a Kumfi Complete Control Harness as kindly recommended here by DOBERMANN - due to use it later today so fingers crossed.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 07:45 AM
He has a normal harness but I don't use it much anymore. I also got a halti harness which sort of works but doesn't really fit him properly and keeps loosening off. Its also a bit of a faff to put on.

When people talk about the black dog halter, is it the one with the string bit or the infin8 they mean? I'm intrieged by these are they seem quite different to the rest
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I thought they'd all be pretty similar but have to say that many dog owners end up trying them all before finding the 'right' one - me included

Halti - utterly useless. Very uncomfortable for Dexter and it came flying off the second he lunged for a cat.

GL - utterly hopeless. The slipline kept ending up over Dex's eyes. Offered no control.

Canny Collar - wonderful! My dog is 30kg of fast, nervous energy and he pulls, leaps and lunges like you wouldn't believe. Although we have weekly training, I've had to return to the Canny Collar recently after he lunged at a horse and actually ripped the lead out my hands...

The Canny Collar does not, however, totally stop the pulling - but if you have a dog that lunges, it's well worth a try.

I've also come across the K9 Bridle, and GenCon.

I've heard good reports about the Walkezee Harness - anyone use one...?
I would agre with this re the Canny Collar. Oscar is just a puller, albeit not a particularly bad one, but enough to be noticable. I use the Canny Collar on him and although it gives me more control it certainly doesn't stop him from pulling. So if you have a steam train of a dog I wouldn't go with the Canny Collar personally.

I'm thinking of giving the GenCon a go as it looks a nice and simple design.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Just in case this helps: I've been using a Dogmatic for the past week and wow - the difference!!!

I can honestly say that our walks are now enjoyable and so much safer, because with the Dogmatic Dexter can barely pull and, crucially, it's so much harder for him to lunge; even if he manages a small leap, there is no power in it and I am still in control.

It's enabling Dexter to have positive interactions with people we pass because now I can let people meet him as there's no danger of him jumping up or lunging.

And as it's a 'fixed action' headcollar it doesn't tighten or hurt him. I suspect it's far more comfortable than the Canny Collar, for him.

Hope this helps

oh yes I agree - the Halti Harness is a NIGHTMARE. Really poor fit and doesn't do anything!
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »