View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:19 PM
With regard to age and the question of energy , it isn't partcularly about age, but lifestyle and fitness. And fitness has to be worked at and maintained.

People don't always bother to exercise and keep fit and this goes for all ages. I know some squash players and runners that are fitter in their 40s and 50s than many people are in their 20s.

I know one guy in his 40s on his second marriage who does a seriously physical job during the daytime (working with concrete and molds) then goes straight to the club to play team squash And this isn't a one-off either.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I think it comes to the fact that we can try to decide the 'ideal' situation/age/numbers of kids/numbers of siblngs/family life/influences etc. but it rarely works out like that in life for everyone as circumstances are different for everyone - people are different and things happen. There is no 'one glove fits all' so we can only do what we can with what we have at the time - and make the absolute best of whatever it is.
Fantastic post LS, it won't let me give you reppys.
I do think still though that making the best of what we have also has to be done with consideration for the hopeful child and it's children in turn...
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Excellent post. Quality not quantity I would say. My parents were slightly older than some of my friends parents when I was growing up, but that never bothered me. I do worry about losing them as they are now both nearing 70, but I wouldn't change them for the world.

I will give Ben all the love, care and attention he needs for as long as I can, and I truly hope he never feels embarrassed or angry that I chose to have him when I was in my 30s
I'm sure Ben won't be at all embarassed. I don't think having a child in your 30's is that late. As I say, my dad was 48...

Not sure about the quality/quantity thing though in this respect.
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
dont know really, my mum and dad are relatively young. Mum had me when she was 23 and my dad is 28.

I get on really well with my mum and dad, and they are very active with my little boy which he loves, whereas my hubbys parents are a good 10&20 years older respectively and they arent as active or involved with my little boy.

As for me, I can run around after Luca now at 31 - but dont know if i would want to do it in 10 years +
But I wouldnt ever criticise someone who did. Having lost 3 babies due to miscarriage prior to Luca then i dont think you can plan for life. I may have another child or may spend years trying and loosing them, but would that stop the want for one? But I am inclined to agree with Ailsa to some extent that you shouldnt be selfish about it and you must consider that in 10 years time after having a wee one at an older age you may not be in the best of health so has to be a consideration?
also one of my friends has been trying for years to have kids, and is about to have twins via IVF, now thats also a thought for older mums who go through \IVF the distinct possibility of having multiples and how you would cope.
Luca is a very very lucky boy Dani to have such an obviously close and loving family around him.

I do think at the end of the day we all make choices, I understand the longing for a child totally, but I do think that sometimes, we need to be selfless about that and look to whether we should pursue it. I do think there is a point at which people are too old to have a child. Not sure what the age is,but my dad was definitely over it.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I had Gary at 24 and Steven at 26.......that was just right for me.

However my cousin had her first child at 53 she is now 23 yrs old, I often think that she feels she is out with her Gran and Grandad though as she doesn't like them to pick her up etc if her mates are about.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Fantastic post LS, it won't let me give you reppys.
I do think still though that making the best of what we have also has to be done with consideration for the hopeful child and it's children in turn...
Don't worry Ailsa, but thank you.

I don't see it as a matter of age but the factors I mentioned before. Children can be born into all manner of circumstances but whether they flourish or not is not about the age of their parents, but many other factors.

There are all sorts of arguments put forward to demonstrate what is best when considering a child and the age of the parents is only one of them - and a relative small one in my opinion. Others include the affluence of the family, parental cognition, the issues of the child beng an only child, educational factors, social factors ... all these - and more - are up for debate so I really don't see that when considering having a child it is just about one factor - age.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:46 PM
wow to have the energy at 53..
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
wow to have the energy at 53..
My energy wouldn't of been that good at 53...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
My energy wouldn't of been that good at 53...

you know I just had to check your profile.. I didnt think you were over 53...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Don't worry Ailsa, but thank you.

I don't see it as a matter of age but the factors I mentioned before. Chldren can be born into all manner of circumstances but whether they flourish or not is not about the age of their parents, but many other factors.

There are all sorts of arguments put forward to demonstrate what is best when considering a child and the age of the parents is only one of them - and a relative small one in my opinion. Others include the affluence of the family, parental cognition, the issues of the child beng an only child, educatonal factors, social factors ... all these - and more - are up for debate so I really don't see that when considering having a child it is just about one factor - age.
No, I certainly don't see it as being the only factor involved and certainly it shouldn't be an issue at all for most people, but at the end of the day, it does become an issue when people get older, it has to surely? Having a child when you are older hasd health implications for both mum and baby, as well as social ones.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I think it depends a lot on individual circumstances but I'm sure its better to wait until life is stable and you really want a baby. Some 40 year olds are younger than some 20 year olds, if you know what I mean. Also attitudes have changed over the years. I had Henry just after my 30th birthday in 1983 and and I was classed as elderly
Mind you I did read about someone in Italy, I think, having a child when she was in her 60s. I think that is a bit unfair to the child. Imagine being a teenager with a mum whose almost 80.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No, I certainly don't see it as being the only factor involved and certainly it shouldn't be an issue at all for most people, but at the end of the day, it does become an issue when people get older, it has to surely? Having a child when you are older hasd health implications for both mum and baby, as well as social ones.
Statistically having a baby in your 40s is supposed to bring about a higher risk of Downs. However, I don't know anyone of this age with a Downs Syndrome baby. I do, however, know of a few in their thirties with a Downs baby.

I have to be honest and say that I know of just as many younger mums that have had problems as older, and just as many of either age that haven't. I haven't seen a difference and I think from my observation it depends on the Mum's fitness and health. I honestly haven't seen a difference with the people that I know. Perhaps your experience is different?
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »