Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Chesterthelab View Post
I've got 4 stunning daughters and started at 30, hubby at 40 (we were both married before). My mum never wanted me and she had me at 22! I'd rather my children had only 20 years of being loved than 40 odd knowing they were a burden. Every one of girls is precious and they know it - plus our gorgeous labrador of course! Sue
Lovely post!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I think it comes to the fact that we can try to decide the 'ideal' situation/age/numbers of kids/numbers of siblngs/family life/influences etc. but it rarely works out like that in life for everyone as circumstances are different for everyone - people are different and things happen. There is no 'one glove fits all' so we can only do what we can with what we have at the time - and make the absolute best of whatever it is.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Chesterthelab View Post
I've got 4 stunning daughters and started at 30, hubby at 40 (we were both married before). My mum never wanted me and she had me at 22! I'd rather my children had only 20 years of being loved than 40 odd knowing they were a burden. Every one of girls is precious and they know it - plus our gorgeous labrador of course! Sue
Excellent post. Quality not quantity I would say. My parents were slightly older than some of my friends parents when I was growing up, but that never bothered me. I do worry about losing them as they are now both nearing 70, but I wouldn't change them for the world.

I will give Ben all the love, care and attention he needs for as long as I can, and I truly hope he never feels embarrassed or angry that I chose to have him when I was in my 30s
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Excellent post. Quality not quantity I would say. My parents were slightly older than some of my friends parents when I was growing up, but that never bothered me. I do worry about losing them as they are now both nearing 70, but I wouldn't change them for the world.

I will give Ben all the love, care and attention he needs for as long as I can, and I truly hope he never feels embarrassed or angry that I chose to have him when I was in my 30s
I'm sure he will never feel like that. It is far more common for people to have babies in their thirties now than it was before.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:03 PM
As Iso said, Mum was 32 when she had her, and 35 when she had me.
My Dad died when I was 13, I think he was 48.

I never thought my Mum or dad were too old! My Mum has just turned 60 (i'm 25), and we are best of friends! We never missed out on anything because our parents were a bit older than our friends parents! If anything, we had a more stable life, as our parents had lived their life and enjoyed being young, and both had stable jobs earning decent money.
My Dads parents died when I was young (granded when I was 3, and grandma when I was 11), and they were in their 80's at the time. I enjoyed what time we had with them.
Same goes for my Mums parents, both are dead now, but we enjoyed what time we had with them.

I know someone who's parents had them at 17 and 25, and they were never loved, and were beaten up etc.

I really don't think age matters - like Shona said, we could drop dead at any day, any age.
As long as we are loved and cared for, age doesn't matter.
I personally am hoping for kids in the next 5-10 years - large gap, but there is plenty of time!
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

if i stayd where you do with sheepdogs sheep gsd on a farm i wouldnt care how old my mum an dad were
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:22 PM
this is going to sound mad but.. I think people are younger now for there age than they were years ago.. my dad died when at 58 years old and he looked like an old man, as many people his age did then. I often meet people that age now that look no where near as old, just look at nero, hes really old *snigger snigger* but hes still quite fit and healthy
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
this is going to sound mad but.. I think people are younger now for there age than they were years ago.. my dad died when at 58 years old and he looked like an old man, as many people his age did then. I often meet people that age now that look no where near as old, just look at nero, but hes still quite fit and healthy
Not mad at all - i think you are right, and people live longer too.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Depends. I, personally, wouldn't have kids if I was over 40. They way I look at it is I would want my child/ren growing up knowing and having a relationship with the grandparents like I do with mine. (Although anything can happen to anyone at any age, I know.). My mother is a twin, the are not identical and couldn't be more different in nature. She had me really young - 17 - and although I think that's far too young to have a baby, it meant that I grew up knowing and having a great relationship with my grandparents, who are still very active, have loads of hobbies and one still works 30 hours a week as a seamstress. Which is why I would say that I would rather have kids before I'm 40, but not before 28! Also, with regards to the relationship, I would rather have a good relationship for a few years and have fun as a couple.

I also would want to be young enough to be able to do things with the child/ren and to have a really active part in their lives, and also be able to know their children if they chose to have any.

All in an ideal world, of course!

Also, there's the increased chance of having a child with Downs Syndrome, for example, as you get older which also concerns me (although these things can obviously happen despite the age).

I didn't want kids a while back and firmly believed that I would never want any. I always thought my maternal instinct was missing. Now, though, it seems to have surfaced!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:08 PM
dont know really, my mum and dad are relatively young. Mum had me when she was 23 and my dad is 28.

I get on really well with my mum and dad, and they are very active with my little boy which he loves, whereas my hubbys parents are a good 10&20 years older respectively and they arent as active or involved with my little boy.

As for me, I can run around after Luca now at 31 - but dont know if i would want to do it in 10 years +
But I wouldnt ever criticise someone who did. Having lost 3 babies due to miscarriage prior to Luca then i dont think you can plan for life. I may have another child or may spend years trying and loosing them, but would that stop the want for one? But I am inclined to agree with Ailsa to some extent that you shouldnt be selfish about it and you must consider that in 10 years time after having a wee one at an older age you may not be in the best of health so has to be a consideration?
also one of my friends has been trying for years to have kids, and is about to have twins via IVF, now thats also a thought for older mums who go through \IVF the distinct possibility of having multiples and how you would cope.
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »