Our sister sites
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Watery poo

Hello all,

Could I have some advice on what to do?

My 8 week puppy isn't well. She's got diarrhoea and it's coming out like water.
She's drinking water and playing a little bit, but mostly sleeping.

The thing is, she looks so thin...I know you're suppose to starve a dog for 24/48 hours, but she I'm not sure with puppies?

Would it be ok to give her some pasta..She seems to have lost weight!

Thanks...
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I was advised by our breeders to give kaolin for a day to dry it up not kaolin and morphine though! you can get it from a chemist its called pediatric kaolin,this is for if you think stress of moving from mom/ change of diet has caused it. If however your pup seems lethargic and not well i'm afraid its the vets as she could have an infection and need antibiotics and or rehydrating especially with the heat at the moment.chicken boiled up with pasta or rice is bland and should help settle her tum give the broth as well ,i don't think its wise to starve such a young pup although i could be wrong ,i.m sure someone else will reply soon,if in doubt though visit the vet.Hope she's better soon.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Personally 8weeks old pup, I would take straight to the vets, They can go down hill so quickly and should not really be lossing weight so quickly or having such bad guts!!

Let us know how it goes and hope shes better soon.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 03:51 PM
ditto to the above i would take her straight to the vet especially as she is soo young, i do hope she gets better soon xx
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I think it's a bug. My adult GSD has it too. He's stopped pooing and hasn't been fed since last night, so I've given them both some cooked plain pasta.

I think she just looked thin cos I hadn't fed her today.
She's eaten the pasta and looks normal again! lol

I'll see how she is tonight. If no better, I'll be straight down the vets first thing.

Thanks you guys
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi sorry to heat your pup is unwell. Have you just got her,you did not say, it could be you have changed her diet? If you cannot get her to the vets, and she has diarrhoea (with no blood in mind), starve her for 12 hours only as she is so young. If that stops, give her small amounts only, light and white chicken fish or scrambled eggs, also cook some rice as it is easy to digest and mix with it. She can be given small amounts of water not big bowls, no milk as it will only accelerate diarrhoea. If everything goes back to normal, introduce her normal diet gradually. It might be a good idea to worm her but let things settle first. Good luck with her. If it does last then you should really take her to the vets.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Findley View Post
Hi sorry to heat your pup is unwell. Have you just got her,you did not say, it could be you have changed her diet? If you cannot get her to the vets, and she has diarrhoea (with no blood in mind), starve her for 12 hours only as she is so young. If that stops, give her small amounts only, light and white chicken fish or scrambled eggs, also cook some rice as it is easy to digest and mix with it. She can be given small amounts of water not big bowls, no milk as it will only accelerate diarrhoea. If everything goes back to normal, introduce her normal diet gradually. It might be a good idea to worm her but let things settle first. Good luck with her. If it does last then you should really take her to the vets.
All is well again, she's much better today. As I thought, I think it was a bug, as my GSD had it too!

Thanks for the advice on scrambled eggs, that was my next question!

She's at the vets on Monday so will make sure she has a proper check up, but she's back play fighting and being a right rat bag! lol
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks everyone xxx
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:08 AM
So pleased she seems on the mend now
Saffy
Dogsey Senior