Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 11:13 AM

**Need some dog Training advise please (5 month old Cocker Spaniel)**

My Grandaughter's 5 month old Cocker Spaniel puppy Buster has been a bit naughty of late! he has been showing aggression towards her when trying to get him from under the table, when she or anyone gets down to his level he snaps. there is also a young baby at home about to start crawling, and this could be drastic if allowed to carry on. any advice much appreciated. thank you. x
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I think in this case it would be best if your friend called in a good dog trainer/behaviourist to assess the situation and help them out.

There could be many different reasons for the way this dog is behaving, and a trainer who can observe in the home situation will be able to narrow this down.

It does sound like insecurity/fear from the description, and I would advise no grabbing the dog (to get him out from under the table) and do not allow him around children or babies unsupervised.

I have seen a lot of cockers get these problems at around this age, and in the cases I've seen, it appears to be fear-related. I'd make sure your friend gets some advice on here regarding trainer recommendations, and then calls one out to start working on this problem ASAP.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Agree with what Vicki_Ann has said. Has he been checked by a vet recently, particularly his ears. Spaniels are often quite prone to ear problems causing them to react if in pain. Does he go under the table a lot as a quiet hideaway or just at mealtimes? If he's waiting for an opportunity to get food, he 's in a good position from his point of view because people can't see where he is or get to him easily. It sounds like he could be,even at a young age trying to be 'boss dog' and starting to make the rules. Sorry not much help but would get behaviourist/trainer advice before it escalates, especially with young baby. Someone here will probably be able to help too. Keep us posted with what happens Good luck
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Vet check and behaviourist sound like the way to go.

Does the dog hide under the table for safety? So in the meantime could the dog have a crate or den somewhere where they can go and be left in peace?

If they are after food then again either a crate or train the dog to wait somewhere else while the family is eating?

How about a house line so if the dog does need to be moved it can be done safely with lots of positive reinforcement for good behaviour.

Obviously the babies safety is paramount so they need to be kept apart until the issue is resolved.

J.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 06:59 PM
If the puppy is hiding there`s a reason for it. I`d start there. Why is the puppy hiding? What has frightened him?
BTW trying to haul a frightened dog out from a small space is asking for trouble. Leave the pup alone if he`s hiding. And don`t push your face up to him. In dog language that is a very aggressive act.
It seems there is a lack of communication here. A good (APBC or APDT) behaviourist is the way to go.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
It sounds like he could be,even at a young age trying to be 'boss dog' and starting to make the rules.
I have to say I totally disagree with this comment. This is plain wrong.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 07:44 PM
The reply given to this post is from personal experience only and to try and help, I am not an expert or behaviourist so please forgive my ignorance. We had cockers for 30 years and still know and help look after other folks dogs. Human babies learn to manipulate at a very early age and it is the same with dogs to some extent, any dog whatever their breed, small or large can become unstable and unpredictable unless given rules and guidence. Am not saying for one minute that anyone is doing anything wrong but if are asking for help and advice is a good thing and they will take from it what they will. Am interested in why you disagree with what I've said and is 'plain wrong', no offence and do not want to get into an argument at all in any way.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 08:07 PM
He is a spaniel, I'd guess he has nicked socks or similar and hidden under thimgs with them and the owner has confronted him and the issues have begun---happens all the time with spaniels especially.

I'd long line him in the house, no eye contact when he is moved using the line. Don't confront him about anything. If he doesn't go to training classes start now, he needs things to do not just walks.

All food in kongs, scattered or by hand for training sessions.

Get someone in to help ASAP.

rune
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi peeps.
no he doesn't hide under the table he just goes under there for a sleep but when it's time to go out or have his dinner he won't budge unless HE wants to move.
he has a crate and goes in that ok but doesn't like it locked he will howl the house down. he sits in the living room with the family at night time and bed time he is left the run of the hallway, and kitchen his crate is under the stairs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
Hi peeps.
no he doesn't hide under the table he just goes under there for a sleep but when it's time to go out or have his dinner he won't budge unless HE wants to move.
he has a crate and goes in that ok but doesn't like it locked he will howl the house down. he sits in the living room with the family at night time and bed time he is left the run of the hallway, and kitchen his crate is under the stairs.
What does he have to make the crate a good place? How is he stimulated during the day?

Long line still applies--and no eye contact.

Could also get him out with a treat and do a bit of fun work with him.

Why should he get out when he doesn't want to----you have to make things worth doing for spaniels---they are not collies or GSD's and they do things for themselves. Make the things trewarding enough and he will do them.

If the owners have the mindset that the dog has to things because they say so they will continue to get into confrontational situations and eventually he will bite.

And it won't be his fault but he will be another statistic.

Is he going to classes?

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >