Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Because we have experienced a nutty lady who came and shouted at me for Parker weeing up her gate-post it's made me a bit wary and I don't really let him stop and pee much until he's off-lead on the heath.
TBH I would and have remonstrated with people who allow their dogs to urinate on my garden fence. Why do people let their dogs do it?

This is not urinating it is marking and IMV unacceptable. My fence/gate is not a toilet!

And then of course ANOTHER dog comes along and wants to mark over it until you have a garden reeking of pee!

I never allow my dogs to pee outside people's houses, up their fences or gate posts or on lamp posts. The former because I would find it equally unacceptable if a male human peed outside my house and the latter because I do know of dogs (and owners) who have been electrocuted doing this.

So I am a strange person (but you knew that)
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Ted spends a fair portion of his walks on a lead so i'm afraid i do let him walk ahead of me and sniff although i won't stand about for ages while he does sniff if he's taking to long i will move him on. He rarely pulls he just likes to walk out in front so i let him. I will get him to either walk beside me or tucked in just behind me if we are walking somewhere busy as its easier to maneuver and he dosen't get in the way. If we have to pass a dog quite close then i get him to sit.

The only time he really walks on a loose lead next to me is when he's had a good run and we are heading home then he is happy to plod alongside me at my pace.
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Having had my arms stretched to capacity over the years with Summer I am now teaching Keira to walk to heel, I worked long and hard with Summer but she still has to wear a head collar. Keira seems to be excellent so far with her lead but I'll wait till we're a bit further down the road (pardon the pun ) before I comment on how great she is as she hated the lead at first x
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Ahh this is an interesting one...Ruby walked perfectly on her lead until her ops & couldnt go out for 4 months, now she is a nightmare.
I need to retrain her & I know it will be relatively easy as she is VERY food orientated , so a kibble reward will go a long way.
I was planning on starting this with tonights walk...until it thundered & Ruby hid under the table! The new plan is for tomorrow morning
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
TBH I would and have remonstrated with people who allow their dogs to urinate on my garden fence. Why do people let their dogs do it?

This is not urinating it is marking and IMV unacceptable. My fence/gate is not a toilet!

And then of course ANOTHER dog comes along and wants to mark over it until you have a garden reeking of pee!

I never allow my dogs to pee outside people's houses, up their fences or gate posts or on lamp posts. The former because I would find it equally unacceptable if a male human peed outside my house and the latter because I do know of dogs (and owners) who have been electrocuted doing this.

So I am a strange person (but you knew that)
I agree with you SB - I don't like dogs peeing outside our house either and I do my best to avoid it happening with my dog/s. Because we are lucky and can easily get to land where the dog//s could be off leash they learned to wait anyway. I think it is a bit easier when you have a bitch though because they don't usually feel it necessary to scent mark so much.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:54 AM
With me, they can be loose lead walking, and can cross over in front, but I hate it when they cross sides behind me, and they always end up getting put back on the other side, they are also allowed to sniff around, but if they start straining at the end of the lead for one particular spot for too long I move them along too, the thing is with mine though because of how they are naturally I've never had to teach them how to behave on lead, off lead is a different matter though .
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Depends on where we're walking tbh, around the block with both of them I tend to walk them on short leads and like them close in case we bump into people unexpextedly, with two biggish dogs people tend to shriek, jump etc and that winds Chester up, but if I have the time and space I'm fine with them on a much looser lead, they're both better on loose leads anyway so it makes my life a lot easier. When I see people coming on a pavement I get them both to sit and wait then we continue after they pass, a bit like Claire's though Chester especially is a total flirt so often gets a fuss as people walk past . I don't accept excessive pulling and Chester normally just needs reminding of who's walking him as my sister takes a lot more crap from him than I do so he sometimes tries it on. Griffin's still being trained to walk to heel properly but he's doing really well, still have a halti in my pocket at all times though .
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:17 AM
mine are pretty good on the lead, they arent on them often but when they are, i dont mind if they go infront of me, as long as they arent pulling like a train. they are allowed to sniff a bit, but are not allowed to put a lot of force onto the lead, and the lead is always a bit slack.

if we have to walk past some one or another dog or a pram or whatever then they are called to heel and walk by my side. both my dogs walk on the same side aswell.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Depends what command I give them. Close means walk approximately to heel, release means they are free to wander about, sniff etc &, with my bitch, get on means she's to pull out in front into the lead but not deviating from the side she's on as she has to in the breed ring. Have to say she's pretty good at all commands whether on or off lead, he has a struggle with them all on lead is is never allowed off.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:18 PM
There is only one way Flynn walks on lead and that is to be steaming ahead dragging me behind him. The collies dont pull but they do walk in front.

Personally, I dont mind if they are in front or even if the lead is taught, as long as they arent pulling. However, I dont allow them to criss cross or change sides and I dont allow sniffing. I expect them to walk in their respective positions in a calm state, keep up with my pace and save their sniffing and scent marking for off lead exercise.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >