Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Crashing through the undergrowth...

Ok, so reading through recent threads and speaking to my boss (she has 3 dallies ) it would seem that most dogs love to 'crash through the undergrowth' when on walks. Through long grass, woodlands, dunes on beaches etc. etc. So would I be right in thinking that Kia is a bit odd in the way that she doesn't do this?!

It's not like she's a 'delicate' dog. She's mostly border collie and has a pretty thick protective coat. But on our walks (some of which are really quite rural/densely wooded) she sticks to the paths! No matter how narrow that path may be! She'd rather barge through my legs than veer into the long grass at the side of the path to get past me! And if she does want to go into the bushes to investigate something then she will seek out a trail left by other animals so there's a gap and a track for her to follow!

It's not a problem and I really don't mind or anything. It could help limit her chances of picking up ticks!! *crosses fingers* But was just wondering if it was just another of her oddball traits or whether there are other dogs out there like mine!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:43 PM
No, I am afraid mine are total off road thugs.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-05-2011, 07:22 PM
my springer and lurcher will explore everywhere but my border terrier is always on point duty and never goes off course even to the point of sitting and waiting until the other 2 are ahead of him and not behind.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, Simon (BCxlab) has always been a roving mud thug, and loves crashing through woods!

Little prince Jacob would not walk through a puddle when we got him (we cured that!), but is still really not interested in his surroundings (nature wise) as Si is. Si will go off and mooch, Jake will stay close by, usually on the path.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Depends on the breed, and the dog I guess. Border Collies, from what I've seen, tend to be more focused on what their owners are doing than what the resident wildlife (and their scents!) are doing.

My Labrador only 'crashes through the undergrowth' if there is a dog turd or something dead and rotting to eat involved. Bo my Slovak crashes though the undergrowth and generally runs like she has a rocket propelled up her backside. Tilly will either follow Bo like a headless chicken on the odd occasion they get walked together, or follow me like a shadow if I walk her alone.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2011, 04:57 PM
But that's the thing. She doesn't seem that focussed on me... And really likes to chase the things that come out of the bushes... She just won't go in after them! I have been wondering if it could just be another part of her nervous disposition...

Or maybe she does just like to stay close to mummy!

xoxox
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I think you will find it is the motivation that matters.

If I ask my dogs to do competition heelwork in the nettles they act like I am trying to kill em.

If I threw a ball or put food on the other side, they would not care if burning coals were on the ground!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:09 PM
The JRT never used to go off piste. He was a bit of a townie. Now he does crashing through the undergrowth.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm sure Jessie has spaniel in her, even though she's a BC! Being the smallest out of the lot and with probably the best coat to protect her, she will crash through anything from the thickest of brambles to dense gorse and even nettles (though she regrets the latter!) to flush out any wild animal that may be in there. The 2 boys just dance around the edge hoping something will come their way!

Flynn doesnt do cover because his skin and fur are too thin so he'll only crash through undergrowth that doesnt sting or stab him! However, if there is a retrieve in cover then he will pick his way through gingerly.

But generally my lot are off exploring all the vegetation and taking scent on the wind. Mind you, I dont stick to paths as all the best things are off the beaten track so my dogs dont have a choice!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:20 PM
My Daisy is fickle like that,She hates Autum as she doesn't like treading on leaves underfoot hates long grass and if she had her way she'd pavement walk only lol She is a funny fish though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >