Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Did you see my drama thread??

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=114385

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=115205

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=115260

I went from knowing nothing to having a couple in less than 3wks..Just go for it..they are very easy to keep, very clean and toilet train in a matter of days..
I feed mine the same as the dogs..raw minced chicken, lamb, beef etc..they like cheese and tuna too..
But you wouldn't be without them now tho eh?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, do they chew through wooden hutches? Do you reckon they would be ok in this one??

[url]http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_hutches/natura/53359[/url

Not sure how to do a link but this is the one I was thinking of putting them in.

Thanks Ali xx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2009, 08:29 PM
how strong is that wire?

at first glance, it doesnt look fox proof.

but i may be wrong, how will you tell?

personally, if i were housing my small animals outdoors in a hutch, i wouldnt buy over the net, as i cant see and feel it for myself.

also, i'd store the hutch inside a shed or garage.

during the day, you can have a special garden run for them.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 08:37 PM
It is def fox proof as it is a hutch that I already have for my bunnies. Just didn't fancy going out in the dark to take a photo

I was wondering about whether or not you felt they were better indoor or outdoors, I'm guessing you think in? Their position outside would be very sheltered if they were to go out but then I also have a porch or conservatory that could be reasonable options too. Is there a cage that you think would fit the bill well? just to give me an idea.

Thanks for all your help and the link you put on was great.

Ali xx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
It is def fox proof as it is a hutch that I already have for my bunnies. Just didn't fancy going out in the dark to take a photo

I was wondering about whether or not you felt they were better indoor or outdoors, I'm guessing you think in? Their position outside would be very sheltered if they were to go out but then I also have a porch or conservatory that could be reasonable options too. Is there a cage that you think would fit the bill well? just to give me an idea.

Thanks for all your help and the link you put on was great.

Ali xx
AH! didnt realise you already had this.

I had mine built. Twas a big house structure, taller than me. Many layers with ladders etc.

Just me, but if you use the hutch pictured I would house your rabbits and ferrets inside a shed or garage overnight for security and shelter, and have them in big housing/runs outside during the day.

Ferrets do make good indoor pets, personally i dont favour one way over the other. I've done both.

To me, to answer your situation, i would say what's more important is have you considered the positioning of the ferrets in relation to your rabbits?

For example, if you take my advice and hutch them in a shed, as an example, it should be 2 different sheds.

Rabbits are ferret prey, any close scenting proximity between the 2 will stress both out on a permanent basis: ferrets- frustrated prey drive, rabbits, fear instinct.

Thus, your conservatory may be an answer? (although you would need to consider heat in the Summer)
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Mine are outside in a double hutch..its the same height and width as a normal hutch but is twice as deep from front to back..we added 5ft legs to it..and in time will board off the back and sides and mesh the front and this will be their run..

If you are keeping them inside you would be better with something like this..
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodent...ret_cage/13323
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Right, no I hadn't considered that at all My big rabbit does not like that hutch and I'm worried that she will get too cold, so my plan was to move the bunnies to the shed and put a cat flap of sorts with a run attached at the bottom of the garden. I was just wondering if I could utalise that hutch at all for the ferrets. When yours have a run in the garden do they like to be on grass etc like bunnies and piggies? Maybe I could convert that hutch to an outdoor run for them and they have an indoor cage for overnight.......hmm so I'm now thinking they would prefer a large version of a rat cage with platforms and tunnels, hammocks etc.

Sorry for all the questions but I do want to get it right,

Ali xx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Mine are outside in a double hutch..its the same height and width as a normal hutch but is twice as deep from front to back..we added 5ft legs to it..and in time will board off the back and sides and mesh the front and this will be their run..

If you are keeping them inside you would be better with something like this..
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodent...ret_cage/13323
Ah ok and it's got wheels too that would be handy in extremes of temperature in the conservatory I could wheel them in the living room easily enough. Thanks.
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I had lovely ferrets and they loved my dogs great little creatures and full of fun...I have a free ebook about ferrets if anyone wants one, pm me and ill send it..
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 10:37 AM
This is the one I have for my rats
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ask?query=f...20&form=search

It's sold as a ferret cage but is it like some cages which although they are sold as for rats aren't nearly big enough?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2