Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Degus are gorgeous and live longer than rats. Not as easy to find as rats, don't smell like rats do but need careful feeding as they can develop diabetis.

rune

Goos are fabulous pets - at one point we had 7 but sadly we are now down to just the one old guy Digby who we got from the RSPCA via Becky on here - he is fab. They are great characters - and I agree totally not smelly but they can be naughty - our others used to throw poos at me when they wanted out of the cage, if I was watching TV and ignoring them!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
Not a bad cage at all - and they will be fine in it for a good many hours of the day Just give them an hour or two of freerange.

They make absolutely superb pets - and if you're keen to look at breeders as well (the majority also help rescue situations, and may well have foster litters) - try e-mailing breeders@nfrs.org for a list of breeders in the UK. Not all are fab - but at least they're *all* heading in the right direction! I would never consider buying from a petshop or backyard breeder though - it could really open you up to heartache.

xx
Thanks for that. I Would never, ever buy an animal from a petshop. Can't bare the places! Saying that I am now considering a breeder as rescue rats are quite difficult to locate it would seem. Shunamite I think they were called, ring any bells?

Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
Thought of a house rabbit?
I had one that was good with cats and dogs, house trained, could go out on the lead and cuddled up on the sofa with me all night. his name was Elliot and he had full run of the house- fully recommend one to anyone they are full of character!!
My dogs aren't rabbit friendly, my cat could only just tolerate the regular pestering from them. More importantly though I'm not particularly rabbit friendly either it would seem. I had a couple when I was a kid and both of them hated me. Scratched me to pieces all their lives and I even had one of them from being teeny tiny! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Degus are gorgeous and live longer than rats. Not as easy to find as rats, don't smell like rats do but need careful feeding as they can develop diabetis.

rune
I've heard of Degus, aren't they like giant gerbils or something? Might look into that, they sound interesting. I'm guessing they couldn't live in a tall cage like the one I had in mind though, right?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Goos are fabulous pets - at one point we had 7 but sadly we are now down to just the one old guy Digby who we got from the RSPCA via Becky on here - he is fab. They are great characters - and I agree totally not smelly but they can be naughty - our others used to throw poos at me when they wanted out of the cage, if I was watching TV and ignoring them!
Oooh I'm liking the look of Degus, very cute! Wonder how much chance there would be of finding a small group looking for a new home though? They seem quite "rare" still?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Oooh I'm liking the look of Degus, very cute! Wonder how much chance there would be of finding a small group looking for a new home though? They seem quite "rare" still?
Loads of Degus in rescue if you look - one of the reasons is they live a lot longer than most rodents, so people get fed up with them a lot sooner. (Although arguably, they aren't really rodents but Octodons).
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 06:26 PM

I've heard of Degus, aren't they like giant gerbils or something? Might look into that, they sound interesting. I'm guessing they couldn't live in a tall cage like the one I had in mind though, right?

Loads of degus in rescue - I kept a group of 4 in the exact cage you showed
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Loads of Degus in rescue if you look - one of the reasons is they live a lot longer than most rodents, so people get fed up with them a lot sooner. (Although arguably, they aren't really rodents but Octodons).
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Loads of degus in rescue - I kept a group of 4 in the exact cage you showed
Thanks for that, will do a bit more reading but I'm already liking the sound of Degu's.

It'll probably be after Xmas now due to finances, but hopefully I'll have some new small furries joining the gang in the New Year.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I kept rats for 10 years, absolutely fabulous beasties, but they just don't live long enough. 3 years just isn't long enough with them. The heartbreak every couple of years is just awful.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I kept rats for 10 years, absolutely fabulous beasties, but they just don't live long enough. 3 years just isn't long enough with them. The heartbreak every couple of years is just awful.
This is the trouble isn't it? I've had many Gerbils and Hamsters etc, but the two loviest small furries I had were two Russian Dwarf Hamsters - Zig and Zag!

They were trained to come to their names and used to enjoy sitting on your knee in the evening and watching TV. I was lucky that they lived quite a long time, one died at about 3 years old and the other was about 4.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 10:42 PM
This is the trouble isn't it? I've had many Gerbils and Hamsters etc, but the two loviest small furries I had were two Russian Dwarf Hamsters - Zig and Zag!
Blimey, you're a born rat person... just wait til you get them....
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Other little furries just don't have the same appeal, ferrets come close but not quite there IMO
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >