Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Help Out There

Ji I am probably in the wrong section,but it applies to both dogs and cats.We have been looking after a feral cat,it has really sore eyes,so we caught it and took it to a local vet,evidently they are in a scheme if a vet is a member of Pet Care which is run by the Royal Vet College,they offer subsidised treatment if you are an OAP or registered disabled(I wish I had known) it is run with Dogs Trust in certain areas and think it could be for vaccinations,spaying,but every little helps.the vet said also if your dog has to have an emergency op,then the vet would contact Dogs Trust who will then make a decision on how much they can help at that time.Its really good,when things are so tough especially for the elderly who sometimes live on their own and there only companion is a dog or cat,in spaying you would only pay £30,but any other help will be assesed.Gemini54
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks Gemini, Dogs Trust paid for Dolly to be spayed because she came out of a pound, they would have neutered Cyril as well but he was already done.

It is better if you can get your dog insured but the cost these days is to much for many people, I have third part with the Dogs Trust, you just need to be a member. Cyril's insurance went up by £10 a month, if that happened with my other 3 it would be £40 a month extr but Bonnie a d Tilly are now classed as old dogs and would probably gone up more. I now put £100 a month in a cash ISA instead, this is less than I would pay with insurance. Even £5 a month away will give you some money for vet bills.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Thanks Gemini, Dogs Trust paid for Dolly to be spayed because she came out of a pound, they would have neutered Cyril as well but he was already done.

It is better if you can get your dog insured but the cost these days is to much for many people, I have third part with the Dogs Trust, you just need to be a member. Cyril's insurance went up by £10 a month, if that happened with my other 3 it would be £40 a month extr but Bonnie a d Tilly are now classed as old dogs and would probably gone up more. I now put £100 a month in a cash ISA instead, this is less than I would pay with insurance. Even £5 a month away will give you some money for vet bills.
Hi Mattie,Thankyou,my only wish is that the Aged Community know about this help,very few elderly would go on the internet,and to them any help would be so valuable as it could mean that there pets are looked after.I am helping with the Xmas dinner at the centre,and think I will print this information,where I last lived,an old lady had to have regular treatment for her dog an injection,she would often go without food or go to bed early so that she didnt use the heating wearing loads of clothes,I was working at the time and gave her help by seeing special offers and saying look would you like to try this its on special,she was happy and not offended.Gemini54
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Mattie, Thankyou, my only wish is that the Aged Community know about this help, very few elderly would go on the internet, and to them any help would be so valuable as it could mean that there pets are looked after. I am helping with the Xmas dinner at the centre, and think I will print this information, where I last lived, an old lady had to have regular treatment for her dog an injection, she would often go without food or go to bed early so that she didnt use the heating wearing loads of clothes, I was working at the time and gave her help by seeing special offers and saying look would you like to try this its on special, she was happy and not offended.Gemini54
When I lived in my other house I couldn't afford to heat it once hubby passed away, I did without so I could insure my dogs, I had 4 old dogs then and I couldn't let the insurance go because of their age. My dogs always had food but I didn't, they were warm because they all had good coats, I didn't, so understand about old people, I should do I am 71 . I am lucky I have 4 dogs to keep me company but many don't, I can go several days without speaking to anyone apart from my dogs but many old people can go weeks without speaking to anyone. These people have worked hard all their lives, paid all their taxes, proved the money for the health service, free education including free university etc and end up like this even though every government said that they would look after them, none have.

Well done for helping with the Christmas dinner, please tell us about it afterwards.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi Its disgraceful,"Mother Teresa said loneliness is the worst poverty"but what is hard to swallow is young people not being taught to respect the elderly in the community,they have so much to give and share with the young,but will let you know how xmas went,where I lived before,I had an adopted granddad he used to come to dinner most weekends,as like you he had lost his wife,and needed to talk as he used to say do you know what Im sure I am becoming invisable,not a kind word or even a smile,people act like the white rabbit these days Gemini54
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Pensioners are now being told they have to much money and don't need help, yes many don't but many do. Life is hard for those starting but it was hard for us as well. When the mortgage rate went up to 15per cent many lost their homes. When we bought our first house we had to put 25 per cent down, we had to take our mortgage out for 30 years because our joint wagers wasn't enough for 25 years.

What does upset me is the amount of people dying and not being found for some time. My neighbour died the other week, he kept to himself and was rude to everyone. Someone noticed that she had 't seen so asked others, someone had seen him but everyone kept their eye out for him. Social services was notified but it took them too long to come out.

A man opposite noticed his heating wasn't coming on and phoned the police, they broke in and found him on the sofa dead. The police told me that he had been dead for 3 days.

My house is at a 45 degree angle to his with outbuildings and high fences to keep my dogs in so I never see anything.