View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Aparantly Rosie is a Dolly as in Collie/dalmation x but she's just a collie x to me, especially as we've since figured out that she's actually crossed with a whippet anyway, to me she is just Rosie to me
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2013, 11:27 AM
when I was in the UK earlier this year I saw a local ad for a Sharpador .... asking price £500. In other words it was a cross between a Shar-Pei and a Labrador, which for some reason seems quite common in the US and UK.

But £500???? - absolutely ridiculous when for that price or slightly more you can buy a Shar-Pei with a pedigree and known history from a reputable breeder.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2013, 02:55 PM
labradoodles a are unlikely to ever be KC registered for a breed to be registered as a breed they have to be bred to type to type for 10 generations with documentation to prove it.
When the question was asked on a doodle site most of the breeders were totally against registration saying they like there little packets of surprises when they breed the unknown.

Truth is if they went for KC registration they would have a lot more restrictions put on them than they have now.
KC registration means bitch can only have 4 litters max no registration means no record and you can have as a any as you like out of 1 bitch.
Health tests KC registration does not mean you have to test but if you are an Assured breeder you would.
If there is a health problem with a pup then a registered name will show the history and dogs behind the pup with traceability none registered no traceability so no holding to account.

I would think that is more the point why they don't want a registration system for the "breeds"
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
labradoodles a are unlikely to ever be KC registered for a breed to be registered as a breed they have to be bred to type to type for 10 generations with documentation to prove it.
When the question was asked on a doodle site most of the breeders were totally against registration saying they like there little packets of surprises when they breed the unknown.

Truth is if they went for KC registration they would have a lot more restrictions put on them than they have now.
KC registration means bitch can only have 4 litters max no registration means no record and you can have as a any as you like out of 1 bitch.
Health tests KC registration does not mean you have to test but if you are an Assured breeder you would.
If there is a health problem with a pup then a registered name will show the history and dogs behind the pup with traceability none registered no traceability so no holding to account.

I would think that is more the point why they don't want a registration system for the "breeds"
I think the Doodle "club" does follow a strict set of regulations in regards of health testing, breeding no more then three litters etc. They follow the same code of ethics on that front as other breed clubs.

As for breeding true, I have no idea. I would guess Doodles bred to Doodles are more "true" to their type then the first straight cross. But, to be honest, not wanting your "breed" KC registered isn't unique to them. Lots of rare breed clubs are reluctant to have their dogs recognized too. KC registration, as we know, can be the downfall of many a breed
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2013, 04:25 PM
The down fall of many breeds is in my opinion the people involved.
I have two breeds KC registered one is struggling because of its own popularity. But supported by the K. Has several health tests. dogs are still turning up affected by these preventable conditions but they are coming through rescues and in dogs from poor breeders.
The other breeds is doing very well health wise but this breed is not so popular with the general public so generally dog a breed for the breeders.

That is where the issues lie not that they are registered with the KC.

The doodles are starting to suffer health wise, victims of their own popularity not the registration system they chose to adopt
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I must admit, some of the "cross" names don't bother me now (for example labradoodle and springador) but some are just daft.

I got asked just the other day if Alfie was a "Borkie" - took me long enough to work out what she was actually saying to me!

Alfie is a mix of two dogs, no designer name, no designer price tag. Just my little scruffy jack russell cross to me
And I sat there thinking what they meant.. obvs yorkie x border terrier, right? lol.
I call Ella a puffie as a joke cos I pretend she's crossed with a pug (she isn't, she's just a runt).

Honestly, I can't keep up with these names at all. I think I'd only call a labradoodle by their designer name cos it was the first one (I think) but when it comes to cavajacks, roxers, shichons etc. I'd rather just call them by what they actually are and I believe those names are just there to lure people in with promises of fancy dogs.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I have three of these new crosses as clients, a cockerdor, a sproodle and a shition.

I just call them what they are crossed with.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2013, 01:12 AM
I call Bella a sausage at times. Well she is on the very small side for a minpin! Not a contraction of two other names but just coz she looks like a sausage on legs.

I don't really care a hoot what people call their dogs. Do find some of the names amusing. Was thinking it might be even more amusing if they started up new 'type' names. I mean we have sight hounds and all sorts. We could have couch hounds for starters, bark hounds, baldies, snappers and biters. That sort of thing.

Let's just change everything for the sake of it!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I won't put it in print but what would you call a Bull Dog cross Shih-Tzu
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I won't put it in print but what would you call a Bull Dog cross Shih-Tzu
Umm, mebbee