View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lindaisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Bulldogs are now going for £2000.....I love the breed but not the problems.

I must admit to paying £600 for my girl.....she is an old tyme bulldog (aylestone).

I got a heathy bulldog.....with the wonderful attitude and loyalty I desired, so I think £600 was a bargain compared to a KC Bulldog..

Love her to bits and what I get in return from her she was worth every last penny.....un-conditional love is priceless.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Considering i love my toy breeds, another CKC and a pug are next on the list for me probably, considering the health problems (and that'd id like to show) I'd far rather pay 800/1000 perhaps more, for a dog from a trusted breeder, who had done detailed health checks, could show me pedigrees etc etc etc than £500 from someone just selling the cute factor
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Me too but for some of us that cost would be out of the question.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:56 AM
If people want a particular breed they will pay the price. If you look at the costs I incurred on another thread it cost me more to raise one puppy than she sold for. I didn't include my time off work for 5-6 weeks so income lost.

The price of the dog isn't the end of it. You have vaccinations, insurance, food, and in my case a bigger car, a move to the country, and putting up dog proof fencing, the list goes on.

I'm always bemused by the fact that people are prepared to spend megabucks on their kids but not their dogs.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Pereg cost me the taxi fare to and from the rescue shelter when I went to collect her.

What she has cost me since then does not bear thinking about [but of course she is worth it ]
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Pereg cost me the taxi fare to and from the rescue shelter when I went to collect her.

What she has cost me since then does not bear thinking about [but of course she is worth it ]
Indeed. And if you'd paid more for her it would be no guarantee you'd not have those vet bills now.

Good to see some people considering the cost of KEEPING a dog more important than the cost of BUYING it in the first place.

But if people want to and can afford to spend mega money buying a dog - why shouldn't they? Some spend mega money buying cars, electronic equipment and all sorts.

Biggest portion of my 'free money' goes on travel to see my kids (and bring the youngest one over here) - I also have to factor in the cost of the dawg. I wouldn't double that cost at the expense of not being able to fly back to UK as often as I need to or want to.
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I've never paid for a dog and doubt I ever will,I seem to be very lucky cos get offered them for free
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by dixondog View Post
I've never paid for a dog and doubt I ever will,I seem to be very lucky cos get offered them for free
I think your dogs are lucky too Dixon!
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I think your dogs are lucky too Dixon!
Thank you!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I paid £75 for my crossbreed from the SSPCA but I would have been willing to pay more.

I paid quite a lot of my BC, especially when you can go to a local farm and get one for £150 and less... however, he came from a good breeder and his parents are health tested so I was more than happy to pay more for him... even if I have had people tell me I am an 'idiot' for spending that much... I even had someone ask if the breeder was wearing a mask just because he paid £100 for his BC from a farm! I asked if his dog was from health tested parents and he didn't even know what health tests are! Says it all really...
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >