Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 01:14 PM

Your help is needed please

I have some urm issues we might say going on at the min and i have been told that i need to become a more positive person which will give me a better outlook on life etc etc

BUT i dont know how to start, literally no idea at all, im very practical and try to fix all problems at once so im not overly positive about much if im honest.

ANY and ALL tips are welcome and i wont be offended by anything u say so dont hold back lol x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems Jem, are you meaning you are a half empty glass type of person as opposed to a half full one?

First of all, you've got to give yourself something to be positive ABOUT, so think of all that you HAVE and less about all that you don't if that makes sense! If you're one of those people who walks around with a long face, nothing makes you excited, not a lot makes you smile, then give yourself something that does, some things in life are free, you just gotta find them If you think it's more serious than that, then pop down to the old quack and have a chat and see if you might need a little help. Nothing to be ashamed about, my husband has been like this most of his life, but sometimes along the way, he had a little help and it lifted him out from under those floorboards or gave him a more positive attitude towards life.

All the best, hope some of that helps, hope I got the right gist, coz sometimes I get the wrong end of the old stick!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Well u've pretty much just summed me up

I've never been a positive person and at 26 i think i should start lol x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
I have some urm issues we might say going on at the min and i have been told that i need to become a more positive person which will give me a better outlook on life etc etc

BUT i dont know how to start, literally no idea at all, im very practical and try to fix all problems at once so im not overly positive about much if im honest.

ANY and ALL tips are welcome and i wont be offended by anything u say so dont hold back lol x
''You have been told''
Jemma you are you and really people should accept the person you are warts and all.

However if you feel you need a more positive outlook try looking back over each day and pick out the moments which have given you pleasure and the things you have enjoyed doing
Think of things you are going to be doing tomorrow/in the future which will give you pleasure and try to focus on these things when you are having negative thoughts.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Im not really someone who wanders round being depressed or anything like that im just practical and dont see the point in sugar coating things but apparently its not a good thing and is making me come across as im miserable or whatever.

I am angry at being told to change but maybe change is good?x
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Im not really someone who wanders round being depressed or anything like that im just practical and dont see the point in sugar coating things but apparently its not a good thing and is making me come across as im miserable or whatever.

I am angry at being told to change but maybe change is good?x
Why do u NEED to change though? If you are happy the way you are then why change? Does it bother you that people think your miserable? Surely all the people who are close to you know your not miserable and love you for you. If someone wants you to change but your happy, the only change you need to make is dropping that person out your life. Thats just my opinion.

Im the same as you, some people think I am miserable till they get to know me as I dont sugar coat things either. I dont care though, I know how/who I am and if they dont like it, tough!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Who told you? If this is what you feel then fine - if someone is trying to change you they have the problem, not you.
You are you. If someone isn`t happy with you as you are... do you have to change or do they?
I`m not a fluffy, isn`t life wonderful, you`re wonderful, we`re all wonderful sort of person either. Thank heavens.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Have you read "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Suzanne Jeffers?

This has kick started many a person on to being more confident about themselves and life.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 08:19 PM
People think i'm miserable but TBH, it's just me and i've been that way all my life. I'm not one of lifes bubbly types and i'm a homebody - I much prefer staying at home reading and watching TV at night with my PJ's on rather than painting the town red and wasting my money on alcohol and taxis!

I hate it when people start to ask me questions about my life and what I do etc because I come across really bad. I was working with a guy the other day and he was asking me all sorts of questions and when he discovered my answers remarked that he didnt have me down as such a boring person, lol!

I could try and be what people expect me to be, try to fit in with everybody elses ideas of what I should and shouldnt do or be like but it would take an enormous effort to fake all that and I dont have the energy or inclination!

My only aspiration is to NOT end up like my Mother!
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Maybe you're more positive than you think - if you're trying to solve all problems at once you must at least think you're able to. Some people might feel they couldn't cope! I'm quite boring compared to some of my friends, just happy to walk the dog and spend time with my husband and family. But I'm happy Not skipping around with flowers in my hair and a big grin on my face (I like a good moan and a bit of misery!)
If you're fine with who you are you don't need to do anything. If you need someone to talk to go to the doctor and I'm sure they can give you some info on where you can get some advice. Good luck to you. x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >