Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How Green are you?
Ultra Green! 3 9.68%
I try to do my bit 23 74.19%
I'd like to do more 5 16.13%
Couldn't care less 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
covkimbo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2010, 12:46 PM

How Green are you?

What steps have you taken to be more ecofriendly?
For instance do you use degradable bags, cleaning products with no nasty chemuicals?
Or do you not care about the effect we have on the planet?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 01:00 PM
I probably don't do as much as i should but i do try to recycle what i can and have a composter that my peelings etc, teabags, eggshells go in. I take my glass to the recycling bins at the supermarket, also any surplus coathangers and plastic bags that Tesco have provision for.

Been thinking about using biodegradable poo bags at the moment i just use bogstandard plastic ones. I did have one of those dog poo chemical loo things but it was useless.

I use some eco friendly products indoors like lavendar and tea tree oils diluted in water to clean worktops etc.

So not too bad but what annoys me is that eco friendly products etc are so much more money than the usual ones it puts people off buying them, which of course lessens demand and the lower the demand the more expensive things will be so its a double edged sword !
covkimbo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Well I'm not sure everything IS so expensive! My degradable black bin bags are £1.69 for 20, dog poo degradable bags are £2.99 for 50 and my litre bottle of BioD washing up liquid is £2.49. I use Borax, white vinegar and bicarb to clean most stuff. I guess i'm lucky as i buy my stuff wholesale from my own website link removed so i DO save money, but our products are certainly on a par with the supermarkets.
I think at least most councils are getting a bit more savvy now with regard to recycling facilities which is good..although i do think charging to take big stuff away is wrong...if someone doesn't have a car but needs to get rid of, say a fridge, it's a shame to have to pay the council (ours charge min £15)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 02:07 PM
We try to do our bit.

We keep all jars as I do alot of pickles and stuff. Other stuff like plastics or glass we put in our bin for collection. We get all our paper and put that in the bin for collection....other than stuff of importance that we shred, thats used for the furries and chickens, then when clean out time comes, I bag it and put it on my compost heap at the allotment.
Toilet cardboard rolls I keep after the loo paper has been used, as they are good for planting my veg seeds in and then they can be transfered straight into the ground and rot.
All peelings are boiled and either fed to chickens or I take them raw to the allotment.
We don't use carrier bags as we have the shopping bags in the car.
And poo bags are biogradeable as are my black bags and garden bags.
Light bulbs are all those long lasting ones....although they do not give off as much light as the others

But I think we could really do more if we thought it out

Oh forgot cleaning stuff....I make alot of my own, white vinager etc., useful tips on ''how clean is your house'' LOL
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I do as much as I can.
All glass is recycled, all paper recycled. I use proper shopping bags and refuse plastic carrier bags.
The house is fully insulated and we are very careful with using electricity and gas. All bulbs are low energy.
We compost all waste.
The worst thing I suppose is cleaning products. I do use what works best/is cheapest and these are probably the worst for the environment. I'm going to try white vinegar Steph
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I do as much as I can.
All glass is recycled, all paper recycled. I use proper shopping bags and refuse plastic carrier bags.
The house is fully insulated and we are very careful with using electricity and gas. All bulbs are low energy.
We compost all waste.
The worst thing I suppose is cleaning products. I do use what works best/is cheapest and these are probably the worst for the environment. I'm going to try white vinegar Steph
White vinegar, apple vineger and cider vinegar are all brill for certain things....I have a book if you need to know anything you what to clean
Salt is brill for cleaning the loo and sinks, and lemon juice has loads of cleaning uses, plus if your very clever and motivated you can make your own lavender polish with bees wax
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
White vinegar, apple vineger and cider vinegar are all brill for certain things....I have a book if you need to know anything you what to clean
Salt is brill for cleaning the loo and sinks, and lemon juice has loads of cleaning uses, plus if your very clever and motivated you can make your own lavender polish with bees wax
You are joking!!
I used malt vinegar to clean the glass doors on my lounge wall unit The house smelt like a chip shop
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
You are joking!!
I used malt vinegar to clean the glass doors on my lounge wall unit The house smelt like a chip shop
Oh not malt vinegar.....phew that stuff is only for chips xxxxx poor you
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 05:55 PM
i do recycle my paper,card,tins and jars and glass bottles. i also use my own shopping bags and always refuse a plastic bag when offered.

my council dont recycle plastic from homes and this i find absured.
Notts council recycle everything in 1 bin
Derbys council we have 3 bins.

its about time ALL councils sang from the same hymn sheet on recycling.

as for chemicals in cleaning products.....well produce ones that work as well and at affordable prices then i might change.
and that includes laundry products.
covkimbo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2010, 07:48 AM
If you try the BioD range of cleaning and laundry products i reckon you'll find they work just as well as top non eco brands and they are safer for you and the planet. BioD washing up liquid is brilliant
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >