register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 50 of 84 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 > Last »
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Good Link Wys!
Becky
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Good Link Wys!
Becky
Thanks!

Wys
x
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
last nights show featured a dog (i can't remember his breed) but i think his name was jonbet, i maybe wrong. he belonged to an x actor who'd had cancer and his wife. this guy would basically go round the neighbourhood rescuing stray dogs and rehoming them. he had been successful until he found this dog. the dog was red in colour, similar to a spitz.

BTW This is another dog that Millan "cured". However, if you read the book DW the Ultimate Episode guide, we learn that the dog remained as aggressive as ever and the people gave the dog away because they couldn't handle him.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Also there is the Milgram effect, where someone in apparent authority can tell you do do something and you do it because they are the authority figure.

Some good articles on this Milgram experiment, why it was done (it involved getting ordinary people to apparently "shock" others, to the point of death I believe).

The same thing happens very often in dog training.
I myself was "Milgrammed" when Barbara Woodhouse was on tv and I thought that was what you had to do. I used the choke chain very harshly on my best friends

We have to learn and educate ourselves, because the tv dog trainers will short change us for the most part. Not all of them, but most.

We have to remember that they are very often chosen for confrontation, drama, excitement, looks, etc and not for dog training or behaviour knowledge!

Wys
x

As I was , its so easy to fall into the trap of doing something you deep down dont like, simple because you are in the hands of a professional

I did it to Millie when she was a youngster.. in desperation with her dog aggression, I went to someone who was recommended to me, someone who uses "stooge dogs"

My interpretation of the procedure was far from the reality, and yet I stood there and watched my girl being physically attacked by her "stooge" I was uncomfortable, but was told by all around me, "she know what she is doing" , so dont intervene it was not till she put my girl in an even more intolerable situation, (where her face was bleeding) I woke up, and took my dog, told her what I thought and left without paying.

Standing there watching my girl being attacked by a huge GSD , while she was clawing at me to pick her up to rescue her , is something that will stay with me forever,

But people in desperate situations will do desperate things, even going against their own beliefs.

The damage it did to Millie and me , took a long time to get over...but thankfully I found someone who used positive methods and simple patience, and over the yrs (yes it takes that long) we have got to a good stage with her.

I know what makes her tick, and we work within her comfort zone. we get set backs, ofcause we do, but on the whole we have a good life where she is happy with her lot.

I learnt a lesson that day, even those of us, who consider ourselves to be confident individuals,(with a little knowlagde) will in desperation, partake in somethings we dont like...

And that is why CM gets such a blinded following,,, desperation..... but sadly they dont wake up to smell the coffee..(as Ramble puts it)
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
....anding there watching my girl being attacked by a huge GSD , while she was clawing at me to pick her up to rescue her , is something that will stay with me forever,

But people in desperate situations will do desperate things, even going against their own beliefs.
Yes, I agree with this too. So sorry to hear of your experience. Some people with stooge dogs are frankly very silly. One dog has been killed, so it can have really bad results. On the other hand, a well controlled stooge dog who does not attack, but who is calm and basically friendly can help a lot.

And that is why CM gets such a blinded following,,, desperation..... but sadly they dont wake up to smell the coffee..(as Ramble puts it)
Agree ....

Wys
x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, I agree with this too. So sorry to hear of your experience. Some people with stooge dogs are frankly very silly. One dog has been killed, so it can have really bad results. On the other hand, a well controlled stooge dog who does not attack, but who is calm and basically friendly can help a lot.

Agree ....

Wys
x

I agree completey, and have since had one used with us.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Sorry i dont get your point!
My point is how can you possibly compare a child to a Dog, its ridiculous!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I can fully understand that, if you are there trying to resolve a problem, but most CM fans are not and only go from his TV programmes, and that is the disturbing bit because it is blatantly apparent from the dogs body language that they are in fear, and it is this fact, that so many people are unable to read that, that I cannot understand.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I can fully understand that, if you are there trying to resolve a problem, but most CM fans are not and only go from his TV programmes, and that is the disturbing bit because it is blatantly apparent from the dogs body language that they are in fear, and it is this fact, that so many people are unable to read that, that I cannot understand.
Becky

Good point, when one is there in the moment, you can be forgiven for not seeing it as it is.

But as you say, watching "cold" on a TV screen and NOT seeing the true reaction of the dogs.. is not something I can understand.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 06:48 PM
As I was , its so easy to fall into the trap of doing something you deep down dont like, simple because you are in the hands of a professional

I did it to Millie when she was a youngster.. in desperation with her dog aggression, I went to someone who was recommended to me, someone who uses "stooge dogs"

My interpretation of the procedure was far from the reality, and yet I stood there and watched my girl being physically attacked by her "stooge" I was uncomfortable, but was told by all around me, "she know what she is doing" , so dont intervene it was not till she put my girl in an even more intolerable situation, (where her face was bleeding) I woke up, and took my dog, told her what I thought and left without paying.

Standing there watching my girl being attacked by a huge GSD , while she was clawing at me to pick her up to rescue her , is something that will stay with me forever,

The damage it did to Millie and me , took a long time to get over...but thankfully I found someone who used positive methods and simple patience, and over the yrs (yes it takes that long) we have got to a good stage with her.

I know what makes her tick, and we work within her comfort zone. we get set backs, ofcause we do, but on the whole we have a good life where she is happy with her lot.

I learnt a lesson that day, even those of us, who consider ourselves to be confident individuals,(with a little knowlagde) will in desperation, partake in somethings we dont like...

I agree,it is easily done. I went to a gundog class with Cosmo when he was a pup and I could easily have ended up doing things I wasn't happy with. Much to my OH's embarrassment I didn't but it is very easy to do and 10 years ago, even 5 years ago I would have done exactly what they said...
You are totally right Jackbox. HUgs as well. Must have been awful for you.
Closed Thread
Page 50 of 84 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 > Last »